• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you find black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright Cerulean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Up until now, I've been an in-line and percussion shooter. Alas, the flintlock bug has bitten me so many times over the years that now I'm planning to get a flintlock! My concern is the availability of black powder. In-line is currently popular and gun stores in my area handle Pyrodex, 777, etc. almost exclusively. Where can I find real black powder? Is there a BP substitute that can serve as pan primer? Thanks

Thanks for the links and recommendations! Of course you realize that you have helped the flinlock bugs to bite me even more. :wink:

You have some places to start now, as for priming, using the sdame powder for pan and bore is catching on pretty quickly now ( it was the norm in the past) and many find little if any difference twixt 3f and 4f for priming, you may want to give this a try, and many grind their own priming powder from the main charge powder, there are some tips for doing this safely that they will likley share if you choose this path, glad to see you interested in the flintlocks I do not think you will be dissapointed if you go with a gun with a quality lock, fliners are not a place to cut corners on quality, welcome to the world of rock lockers and enjoy the journey.

Thanks, tg! Lately, everytime my wife sees me reading a book about flintlocks she stares at me through squinted eyes and asks if I'm planning on buying something.

Bright Cerulean:

Some years ago some the female half of a young couple at a church supper got on me about my interest in shooting. Missus Fox (a non-shooter) explained patiently that as I earned a good living, didn't drink to excess, didn't smoke, treated her, the kids and dogs well, and didn't chase other women, there was no problem. On the way home I thanked her. She then uncharacteristically muttered something about "yuppie @#%^&!".

White Fox, in the People's Republic of Boulder

Graff's and Powder Inc. are both good reliable sources for Black Powder. I would be comfortable buying from either.

Nobody is the "best" source. Last summer (2010) I got a shipment of Graff's FFg, which performed very well.

This June, Graff's was out of stock, so I looked further. Powder Inc. had Kik FFg at a very attractive price (in stock, with the shipping charges included in the quote). It has also performed very well. I don't remember any Kik at Powder in 2010. So things shift, go in and out of stock, and the companies respond to each others promotions.

I've been getting mine from Powder Inc for nearly 10 years. The club I used to belong to had been buying from either Upper Missouri Trading Co or Coonies for years before that. I live not real far from Powder Inc (120 +/- miles) and when I'm down that way, I just drop in and chat with Jerry and get some powder, too. Saves on HazMat and shipping as a bonus. The folks there are good to work with. Get a full case (they will mix granulations and brands), it doesn't go bad.

BTW - welcome to the forum BC.

I don't know what you have in your area , but whenever I'm in BASS PRO SHOP I go up to the gun counter tell them what I want and they go to theback and prowl around inside thier fireproof safe and have it waiting for me when I finish browsing. This may help if you have anything around like that....................watch yer top knot................

White Fox said:
Bright Cerulean:

Missus Fox (a non-shooter) explained patiently that as I earned a good living, didn't drink to excess, didn't smoke, treated her, the kids and dogs well, and didn't chase other women, there was no problem.

I mentioned this to THE ADMIRAL and she said I should ask if you pick up your own dirty clothes, and if so do you have an eligible brother?

In the Winston Salem, NC area we buy from Parks and Son.Inc in the town of Advance. Their
phone is 800-992-6504

They have these bunkers out back full of explosives
and sell a lot of powder to re-loaders. An old
company and still get Goex at $14.95 lb. Call to
see if they ship. I drive up and save shipping. They have good selection of round ball!

I purchased 2lb of goexx 3f today at deer creek gun shop in marietta GA, $50.88 out the door :cursing:

Back