• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where should I Get My Miroku Charleville Defarbed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lodgewood.png

Try Lodgewood in Janesville WI.
They no longer offer defarbing services

I hate a defarbed gun! Somebody brings me a defarb gun to buy or one that they purchase that's been defarved and they're telling me it's original.
I cut the price on it so fast it makes guys sick.
A barrel or a gun or a lock without the manufacturer's original markings on it to me is an unknown.
It's also a big waste of money.
I tell guys you're going to defarb you need to put the manufacturer's name and serial number on it on the bottom of the barrel

I hate a defarbed gun! Somebody brings me a defarb gun to buy or one that they purchase that's been defarved and they're telling me it's original.
A barrel or a gun or a lock without the manufacturer's original markings on it to me is an unknown.
I tell guys you're going to defarb you need to put the manufacturer's name and serial number on it on the bottom of the barrel
I don't plan on ever selling mine, and even if I did I would list it as a Defarbed Miroku 1766 Charleville. You could also argue that muzzleloaders are waste of money since they are completely obsolete. When I have it done I'll request the markings to be stamped on the bottom of the barrel.

Why does a ML need a serial number? Remind me to cut your price in half if you ever sell yours.

Some people 🙄

Try Lodgewood in Janesville WI.

Dave Stalvo no longer does defarbs at Lodgewood.

Personally i wouldn’t waste good money on defarbing your Miroku Charleville, save it for your next gun.

Your Miroku charleville is pretty close to an original in its factory state, while not an exact match its close enough where if you sell it ‘defarbed’ it wouldn’t make a difference to the person buying it.

The only thing i would invest in for your Miroku charleville is a rammer spoon and a lock tune.

One of the largest issues with defarb’s on charlevilles I’ve seen is the stock finish, many argue linseed oil for the finish, however all of the orignal’s ive seen along with my own were varnished and boned.

The other issue is the markings on the barrel, many 1766’s didn’t have markings on their barrel, if they did the markings were M1763 on the barrel tang, which is to a standard feature, however I’ve never seen one marked 1766 or 1768 not sure why.

The big issue that can’t be corrected is the buttstock, it’s too short and not wide enough, originals had a thicker cross section and the butt plate was an oval shape (on most), this was because the flutes were dished in, there simply isn’t enough wood on the butt stock to accomplish this.

So my feeling largely on a factor Miroku charleville is that they pass the 10ft test in as is condition, i dont’ recommend a defarb.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back