• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where should I Get My Miroku Charleville Defarbed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you dive into this defarb, I would heavily research the 1766 charleville musket history. Knowing more information is best, and ensuring that you’re relying on good information as to the person doing your defarb.

You mentioned passing the 1foot test, that’s a tall order to fill for a Miroku charleville..

Bianchi’s book offers some great detail into the features and variants of the 1766 Charleville.

Here is an example of an excellent defarb by Gutenberg one of the best I’ve ever seen ,not sure if he’s still in business.

These were navy arms parts on a restocked walnut stock. With some rifle shoppe hardware mixed in. The Miroku lock is a pretty decent copy, as is the barrel.

Notice the lock panels are much leaner, the finish is not dull, it’s a semi gloss varnish.

The front band has been slightly opened at the mouth, not as straight profiled.

The rammer is button shaped, correct for an early 1766/68.

Most importantly you’ll notice the buttstock is longer with deep flutes that are dished in.

This is your best 1ft test defarb in my opinion.

No discernible proof markings on the barrel are required too, there is no consistent pattern of visible proof marks on any Charleville barrel. You may find one or two with a C or M on the breech. So the barrel should be left plain.

http://gutenberggunshoppe.com/index_files/Page862.htm

Lastly the best person to do your defarb is the one that is most knowledgeable about the pattern gun, not the person willing to do the cheapest work. Do your research, document your findings and ask questions, defarb your musket based on your research. (For the 1ft test).
I want my gun to look as close as possible without having to buy any new parts for it, except for the ramrod.

Before you dive into this defarb, I would heavily research the 1766 charleville musket history. Knowing more information is best, and ensuring that you’re relying on good information as to the person doing your defarb.

You mentioned passing the 1foot test, that’s a tall order to fill for a Miroku charleville..

Bianchi’s book offers some great detail into the features and variants of the 1766 Charleville.

Here is an example of an excellent defarb by Gutenberg one of the best I’ve ever seen ,not sure if he’s still in business.

These were navy arms parts on a restocked walnut stock. With some rifle shoppe hardware mixed in. The Miroku lock is a pretty decent copy, as is the barrel.

Notice the lock panels are much leaner, the finish is not dull, it’s a semi gloss varnish.

The front band has been slightly opened at the mouth, not as straight profiled.

The rammer is button shaped, correct for an early 1766/68.

Most importantly you’ll notice the buttstock is longer with deep flutes that are dished in.

This is your best 1ft test defarb in my opinion.

No discernible proof markings on the barrel are required too, there is no consistent pattern of visible proof marks on any Charleville barrel. You may find one or two with a C or M on the breech. So the barrel should be left plain.

http://gutenberggunshoppe.com/index_files/Page862.htm

Lastly the best person to do your defarb is the one that is most knowledgeable about the pattern gun, not the person willing to do the cheapest work. Do your research, document your findings and ask questions, defarb your musket based on your research. (For the 1ft test).
Nick, I have seen 2 Charlevilles with a 6 pointed star over a D, both on barrel and lock.

Because the gun will look more historically accurate and nicer.
Yes, no doubt, only ... it will still just be a Charleville repro, but it will no longer be a Miroku. Remember, they're not making them anymore. Yours will have lost its value as one of a dwindling population. It all depends on why you have it, I guess. It's yours to do with as you wish. In this forum, when you ask "where", you're going to get a lot of replies asking "why".

Yes, no doubt, only ... it will still just be a Charleville repro, but it will no longer be a Miroku. Remember, they're not making them anymore. Yours will have lost its value as one of a dwindling population. It all depends on why you have it, I guess. It's yours to do with as you wish. In this forum, when you ask "where", you're going to get a lot of replies asking "why".

How would a Miroku lose its value? They’re a commodity, people are paying between 1000-2000 for them depending on the condition. I’ve seen heavily used ones sell for 1100

How would a Miroku lose its value? ....
If it's defarbed it loses its identity as a Miroku. Then it becomes more of a "custom" gun. Which will not be of value to someone who's looking for a Miroku. Value as a custom gun might even be more. But you have to add in the cost of defarbing. Who knows if one comes out ahead in the end with a custom gun? There's no market for price comparison. Something that's not being made anymore usually gains value over time without any further investment, simply because the market supply dwindles over time.

Last edited:
If it's defarbed it loses its identity as a Miroku. Then it becomes more of a "custom" gun. Which will not be of value to someone who's looking for a Miroku. Value as a custom gun might even be more. But you have to add in the cost of defarbing. Who knows if one comes out ahead in the end with a custom gun? There's no market for price comparison. Something that's not being made anymore usually gains value over time without any further investment, simply because the market supply dwindles over time.
I don't plan on selling mine unless I find one in amazing shape at a great price, and only if it was before I have my defarbed. After I have mine defarbed I wouldn't trade it for a stock one.

95% of people buying Charleville repros are reenactors. Then again 95% of them are farbs so……

They no longer offer defarbing services
2000? Wow! That's a lot of nice fine 'de-farbs' out there! In the future they will increase in desirability, and, who knows, One Hundred years from now, if there are still any shooting/collecting fellows around, they may not even be sure if they're "original" or not! Good work & good luck, Lodgewood!

The serial number might be useful if it was stolen. Do you have a suggestion on where to have it defarbed?
States like NJ require registration with a Serial Number. I recently got a nice as-new un-assembled CVA Mt. Rifle from a guy in NJ who found it behind a cabinet in a clean out. From the 1980 period, he simply didn't want to hassle "registering" it, so it wound up with me in paper-free PA!

States like NJ require registration with a Serial Number. I recently got a nice as-new un-assembled CVA Mt. Rifle from a guy in NJ who found it behind a cabinet in a clean out. From the 1980 period, he simply didn't want to hassle "registering" it, so it wound up with me in paper-free PA!
Nj registration is voluntary

Latest posts

Back