• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to aim

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here JJ. The last pig I shot was at 148 yds. The 200 gr TC SW went right thru the top third of the heart. Through the smoke I could barely see the pig bolt to the left. That pig coverd 20 yds of sendero & another 40 yds in thick brush before expiring. Seldom w/ a solid double lung do they cover that much ground.

HTG

hadtogo said:
Same here JJ. The last pig I shot was at 148 yds. The 200 gr TC SW went right thru the top third of the heart. Through the smoke I could barely see the pig bolt to the left. That pig coverd 20 yds of sendero & another 40 yds in thick brush before expiring. Seldom w/ a solid double lung do they cover that much ground.

HTG

Sounds lke you almost missed the heart...a hogs heart is located much further forward than a deer's, might explain it.

Or, your hogs are heartier (pun intended) than my North Carolina bucks...no buck I've ever shot in the heart with a PRB has ever gone as far as your hog...maybe our bucks are just wusses...all the nutrition that went into growing the 10 point racks must have weakended their hearts
:rotf:

One thing I've found, is other than a spine shot..there is no guarantee if or how far one will run.

Double lung is the way to go .It is the biggest vital target on the animal. We owe it to the animal to take the highest percentage shot that we can. What I do is shoot for a spot just behind the opposite shoulder. By shooting for the off shoulder your bullett or arrow will double lung them ever time. It takes the guess work out of what angle the deer is faceing

Headshot and Spineshot will drop'em.In The Deer of North America by Rue a wildlife Biologist estimated a Heart shot deer could still reach a possiable maxmium speed = a travel distance of greater than 300 yards!Food for thought. :hmm:

The problem with head or spine shots is the chance of wounding the animal go up when you shoot for these smaller kill zones. I have killed somewhere around 100 deer with my bow and have found that a double lung hit will kill very quickly. The average blood trail length is around 75 yards. The longest trail I have seen was on a 300 lb North Dakota buck that I shot he went 125 yards. Now these are double lung hits. A single lung or other marginal hit deer will travel further if pushed.

Vand1 said:
Double lung is the way to go .It is the biggest vital target on the animal. We owe it to the animal to take the highest percentage shot that we can. What I do is shoot for a spot just behind the opposite shoulder. By shooting for the off shoulder your bullett or arrow will double lung them ever time. It takes the guess work out of what angle the deer is faceing

A lot of people go for the double lung shot as it presents a much larger, easier to hit target than the smaller heart...and if a double lung shot is your preferred choice then by all means use it.

I'll continue to use the heart as my first choice, always.
:thumbsup:

Vand1 said:
The problem with head or spine shots is the chance of wounding the animal go up when you shoot for these smaller kill zones. I have killed somewhere around 100 deer with my bow and have found that a double lung hit will kill very quickly. The average blood trail length is around 75 yards. The longest trail I have seen was on a 300 lb North Dakota buck that I shot he went 125 yards. Now these are double lung hits. A single lung or other marginal hit deer will travel further if pushed.
One of the difficulties is that people make comments as generalities, as across the board absolutes without putting any qualifiers around them...for example, I would even agree with a statement that a head or neck shot is risky at 100yds with an open sight muzzleloader.

But I don't hesitate to take them at 25yds...dropped this one in his tracks with a precise neck shot at 25yds and I'll shoot them all day long like that given the choice...54cal Flint smoothbore.
17402691117058Pointer.54calSBFlintlock1000pixels.JPG

Looks like I hit the heart, not almost missed. Like I said, for me, a high heart low double lung is the shot, whether further back on a whitetail or further forward on a feral pig. Can't say in all of the years that I have been hunting big game, that every animal that I have shot in the exact same place of their anatomy did the exact same thing, you are truely fortunate to have such amazingly consistent results :bow: Got to be careful w/ that deer chow RB, might be giving your bucks heart disease. :rotf: Got to agree w/ you on heartier animals & people etc. in TEXAS. :rotf:

:hatsoff:
HTG

If the deer is a 25 or 30 yards and the neck is the only shot I have, I would concider taking it to. If I had a choice I would still put the shot behind the shoulder.

I use a .490 PRB with 90 grains of powder. I always go for the lungshot and have yet to lose one.

Back