• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy a barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been wanting a Green Mountain 36-inch x 15/16ths barrel in .54 cal. for a from scratch building project. Green Mountain isn't making these right now (they are busy making military barrels) and TOW tells me they have no idea when they will be back in stock. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might locate such a barrel? An alternative to Green Mountain would be acceptable if not too costly. I'd even take a longer barrel that could be cut down to 36 inches.

Thanks, Swamp Rat, but no deal. They tell me not only do they not have the barrel in stock, but that Green Mountain has discontinued production of the 15/16ths .54 barrel.

I have a .45 barrel I may have to resort to to complete my project. I'd hoped to build a rifle with a little more umph, but suppose a .45 will work well on deer, too, and certainly targets.

Call Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. (615) 654-4445. Tip has a whole rack load of Green Mountain Barrels. If he is gone to a show or don't answer, just leave a message & he will call ya back.

:thumbsup:

Would it be possible to take a 42" barrel of same caliber & size and take 6 inches off the barrel. Then you could thread the smaller portion, put a breech plug in it and have a pistol to match.

You might give Dixons a call. I was over last Saturday and I think I remember seeing some Green Mountain. Not sure of the particulars.
Bob

I called both Curtis and Dixons' and they each had the barrel I'm looking for. Curtis said he had "millions" of Green Mountain barrels. Dixon's didn't say how many they have but apparently quite a few. Since Track Of The Wolf is sold out of most GM barrels these other two sources might be worth checking if you are in need of a barrel.

Tommy Bruce said:
Would it be possible to take a 42" barrel of same caliber & size and take 6 inches off the barrel. Then you could thread the smaller portion, put a breech plug in it and have a pistol to match.

Yes, you can do that. However the twist for the pistol would not be what most would want, as most want a fast twist for a pistol to stabilize the bullet.

With my pistol shooting accuracy tho :shake: it probably would not make a bit of difference !! ha ha ! :rotf:

Back