• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy black powder Toledo,Ohio area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in Toledo, Ohio and can't find black powder. Plenty of substitues but no black powder.
I don't want to order and store 25 lbs-too explosive. Just want to try a pound. I've been to Dicks Sporting Goods, Clelands, Gander Mountain and several month ago called Cabelas. No one carries it anymore.

Any one have an idea as to where I could purchase a pound? And yes I'm aware it's dirtier than 777.

More than likely you will have to get it shipped to you from a dealer. Check the "article, Links.." forum here, then click on Powders, there are several links to places on line that will ship powder to you at a decent price.

Google Goex, and get the name and phone muumber for the distributor of Goex powder in your area of Ohio. Then contact the distributor to find out where a retailer is. If there is no retailer in your area, many of the distributors will arrange to ship the powder directly to you, at a good price. Powder Inc, and Graf & sons are two suppliers listed here in the " Links " section of Member Resources, that will sell you as little as #5 lbs. of powder shipped to you at a discount. You get a better price if you buy a case of 25 lbs, because the One time Haz Mat fee is divided between all the cans of powder, but many people don't want to buy that much powder for themselves. I always suggest getting together with 5-10 BP shooters, and placing a joint order for powder, so you can have a year's supply on hand. Then once a year, the group can order the next case of powder. Since everyone is in the same boat, there is NO reason why shooters should not band together to order powder at the lowest possible cost to them all.

I bought GOEX at Cabelas in Dundee Mich. not too long ago.
I think it was 18.99 lb.
Dundee must be 30 or so miles from Toldedo.

Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, (330) 948-1082, Goex and Swiss. Think they might still have Elephant but not sure

I am surprised to hear that Cleland's quit carrying Goex. Up until a year ago I bought some there once in awhile and also bought at Log Cabin in Lodi. There was another outfit in New Philadelphia, Ohio but they had closed down the last time I tried to buy there. Try Log Cabin in Lodi.

There was a dealer in Findlay or Bowling Green that used to advertise, not to long ago in Muzzlelblast. They were some sort of distributer.

I just bought some at Clelands two weeks ago. You sure they don't have any?

I called clelands again today. They say they sell black powder. The last time I was there, not sure when, I was told they could get it but it would cost me dearly.

sorry about the confusion. Clelands told me they didn't have black powder the last time I was there. At the same time I called Cabela's and got the same answer.
Today I called Clelands again. The lady said they do carry black powder. I'll go there this week and find out for sure.

I think Paul's suggestion makes the most sense...if you can't find black powder in your area, then others must be in the same fix. Get together with a few friends and order a case. That way the HazMat only adds $0.80 per pound to the cost. I just ordered a case and will divide it between 4 friends.

Latest posts

Back