• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy good and affordable longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy flintlock longrifle for hunting. Where is the best place to buy a nice rifle for $750-1000?
I am checking out the Track of the Wolf and what they have to offer, and they have some nice guns.
Southern mountain flint in .54, does anybody have any experience to share about this rifle?
Thanks. :thanks: :front:

Take a look at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (Matt Avance). They have a "Tennessee" Rifle and a "Southern" rifle in that price range. There's a used .40 southern rifle built by them for sale on the "Classified" section of this forum. The owner e-mailed me photos and she looks like a beauty! If I didn't have two ordered already :rolleyes:...

I know Larry Williams{Early Rustic Arms} and have handled several of his guns and my only question is as to how he can make any money for the prices he charges.He and I have discussed these guns and I like what I have seen.

Another builder whose prices are a little higher is Jack Hubbard who makes a really nice plain woodsrunner gun.I've seen and handled his guns and they are very good looking guns.I don't know his web site but others will.

I really can't comment on the TVM guns simply because I don't know enough about them but I've heard some nice things said about them.
Tom Patton

I have never seen his work

But here is his contact info:

Jack Hubbard
PO Box 99
Dunbar, KY 42219
phone number: 505-526-4991

Hope this helps

:thumbsup:

I would try Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. I was by there about a month ago & Tip must of had 75 rifles in stock.

(615) 654-4445

He is probably on his way to Friendsip tomorrow but just leave a message with your phone number & he will get back to ya.

:thumbsup:

Thanks guzs.
Long distance buying is much easier when there is a web site with pictures, and a lot fo great gunsmiths and builders do not have it yet.
God bless!! :front:

They are a very accurate shooting gun. The lock is one of the best i have seen for sparking. They use a 7/8" flint, and work real well. Only problem is the price. For what they are selling for you can almost get an in the white from TVM. And the lock costs more than a Siler flint lock.

Cabela's Blue Ridge flints? Anybody shoots one of those?
They look nice.
:thanks:

They are nice. The Blue Ridge is made by Davide Pedersoli which makes the DP Frontier which is almost identical to the Blue Ridge. Pedersoli also makes several other long rifles. http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/

Available at: www.dixiegun.com
www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com

The Perdersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge in flintlock are not period correct as many folks will certainly be all too quick to tell you, but they are nice rifles IMO and will not cost you your life savings.

I picked up a NIB DP Frontier 50 cal in percussion for a song from a private party and ordered a drop-in flintlock and ventliner from Thunder-Ridge to replace the bolster drum for $135.
http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/

I've not shot the Frontier/Blue Ridge in flint yet, but in percussion it's an very nice finish, looking, handling shooting rifle.

Supposedly the Perdersoli Frontier/Blue Ridge is pattern after a Hatfield Rifle described here:
http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol3no1/articles/mbo31-2.html

:imo: :thumbsup:

You guys are great. This is the best BP forum ever!
I already contacted Trck of the Wolf and TVM for more info on few of their products. Problem with 'in-white' is that i do not have space or equipment to do any work on my rifles, except for cleaning. I would love in the furute to buy a kit or inpwhite and work on it myself, but wife and two small kids cost a lot.
Thanks to all of you.
:front:

Heck.... shoot the thing in the white. I have been to shoots several times where guys were shooting guns still in the white. A couple guys used their rifle for several years, & intended to finish the gun (someday). Others never plan on finishing it at all. One of the guys was a well known premium barrel maker. His gun had the rod guide pins sticking out an inch on each side of the stock. A couple of guys took a file/rasp to the stocks of their finished guns and shaved it to suit, and just left things that way. :: whatever.

If you make your purchase without at least talking with Tip Curtis, you'll have made a mistake.

Don't forget to look at The Log Cabin in Lodi, OH. They have some very nice guns made by local builders at very reasonable prices and they are great to deal with.

I am at Friendship (area) and stopped by there yesterday on the way, going back in a few minutes to spend the day. Went into Tip Curtis Frontier Shop building & he has at lease 25 "In the White" rifles with him & Hundreds of barrels & 2 racks of stocks with him. He has a permanent building here now so he doesn't have to haul so much all the time, quite a nice place. The prices of these "In the white" rifles are from $895 to $1295. and man I means there are some fine looking rifles & IMHO a very fair buy. Lots of them have exceptional wood & beautiful curl in them.

:results:

Laufer I dont know if there are any clubs that shoot black powder near you but maybe you can visit with them and see if someone has a rifle thats in real good condition at a good price Just a Idea, a friend of mine picked up a nice .45 flinter for 300.00 I was impressed nice stock and siler lock not sure of barrel maker. :m2c:

Don't forget to look at The Log Cabin in Lodi, OH. They have some very nice guns made by local builders at very reasonable prices and they are great to deal with.

I left msg yesterday. We'll see.
Price is tyhe big factor, and since Perdersoli's Frontier/ Blue Ridge is going for less than 500, and TVM has outhern Mountain for 600, those may be the best choice for my first flint. Warranty included, so there you go. Can't beat that.
Thanks for the info. God bless!

Laufer I dont know if there are any clubs that shoot black powder near you but maybe you can visit with them and see if someone has a rifle thats in real good condition at a good price Just a Idea, a friend of mine picked up a nice .45 flinter for 300.00 I was impressed nice stock and siler lock not sure of barrel maker. :m2c:

Tried that, and they do not have anything.
Thanks! :front:

Latest posts

Back