• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy good and affordable longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you can make is lots better than anything you can buy for the money.

That is probably true in most cases. But, I wouldn't pay $150 for the rifle I could hack out of $500 in parts. There are a lot of things about metal treating and forming (and lock tuning and fitting) that I haven't a clue about. Maybe by my 5th or 6th I would have a few things figured out, and with a significant investment in tools and books. Cheaper in the long run to comission an expert.

Besides, chuckle, chuckle, building your own is not period correct for a backwoodsman. :crackup:

I was at Friendship also. Tip Curtis REALLY has some nice guns in the "white" for $1000 or less. Anyone can stain and finish a gun like his and be proud of it. Nice wood on many also.

I have two TVM rifles, a kit gun in .54 and a semi-custom in .58 and I swear by them both. TVM uses the very best American parts and does an excellent job in construction. Mine have Siler locks, which give me the option of switching to Siler percussion and back again if I want. Make sure you ask about this when ordering. The .58 has a coned barrel that is very helpful in speedy reloading in the field. I use Thompson Center lubes (the yellow stuff)and cleaner. You can save the olive oil for the Pedersolis. I can go many shots without swabbing and the guns still shoot better than I can.

Building the kit gun was a real challenge. You have no idea how many problems you can encounter, especially with eight thumbs. My advice: keep looking until you find a gun that you can see and put to your shoulder and examine thoroughly before buying. This is not only an investment of money, but also your fun time. Get the right one, made in the USA.

"Therefore, let your gun be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Latest posts

Back