• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy tow ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw a thread ...where some women down south was selling bags of tow.....anyone have a phone number or address ?? Thanks !!!

I bought my last tow from Dixie Gun Works, and both price and shipping were more reasonable than other places I found it

Spence

I just bought my TOW from Susan at silvershuttle last month, so her e-mail address should still be good.

I bought 3 bags, just to be safe - it will last me the rest of my life!

So how does this stuff get used to clean a gun? Wrap it around a worm and run it down the barrel after washing it out with water?

This all started me thinking about stinging nettles ... I know you can put it fresh in a soup - I know that they used it to make cordage - seems that it even was used for quilling (just like they used seagull feather quills)... That makes me wonder if it could not be used as a replacement for tow ? :confused: Like in case you cannot obtain normal tow? I think this calls for some experimenting!

Most any fibery stuff that hangs together when dru will work. We have lots of broom grass around here that works good. Pick you some and let it dry. Pick it apart and give it ago. you got noting to lose.

Of course stinging nettle will itch and burn like crazy, but go ahead if you think it might work. When they talk about stinging nettle being edible, you have to dry it or cook it first. NEVER eat stinging nettle raw. The little hairs all over the plant have a small bulb of formic acid at their base and if you touch it and it pierces the skin, the formic acid is injected into you.

If you have a bunch in your area and you cover up to pick it, try drying it out thoroughly and then see how it works. Historically the dried fibrous stems have been used for cordage, so it will probably work.

Twisted_1in66:thumbs up:
Dan

George said:
I bought my last tow from Dixie Gun Works, and both price and shipping were more reasonable than other places I found it

Spence
Thanks for all the input !!! I just sent her an e mail for the tow.

Have never used TOW but I want to give it a try. Contacted Susan but I don't know what to order, the loose in a kraft paper bag or the combed smooth tied in bundle.

Thanks,

Back