• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to carry a percussion capper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you carry percussion caps to assure reliable functioning?

Mechanical cappers are needed where I hunt whitetail, snow, rain, wind. Too cold to handle a#11 cap! I clear the nipple in camp with some snaps, but I won't hoist a rifle to the elevated stand with one.

Some say a capper in your shirt gets damp, and unreliable, others say a capper in the bag during a snow/rain gets unreliable.

I hang the capper on a leather string around my neck and tuck it into the front of my jacket. I have not had any problem this way. If you are sweating enough to damage the caps, you are dressed too warm and need to take off a layer.
Smoke Ring

I attach the capper on the leather thongs that hold the loading block around my neck. Same w/ the priming horn when a flinter is used....Fred

I also carry my capper around my neck with a leather thong. I've hunted in hot weather to wintery weather and have not had a problem yet.

Around here we wear a lot of raingear, and it's easy to sweat up even with PC Gortex and minimum layers beneath. My hunting pard hung his from a thong around his neck and it worked his way inside his shirt. IIRC he had 5 or 6 cap failures in a row. Patient buck to stand there and let him keep clacking, but no bang, and eventually the buck wandered off.

My pard has since started sticking it in a shirt pocket inside his raingear, still hanging from a thong around his neck. No probs when you keep it from actually getting wet from sweat, even with the humidity inside raingear.

I use a brass capper from a thong at the range, but in recent years I've been making a leather strip capper, which fits in a little pocket on my bag strap. Easy to use and cheap, but I don't leave it there when it's wet. I just pull it out of it's pocket and drop it in my bag. I make the bags out of oiled and waxed leather, and they keep everything within perfectly dry.

I have mine on a lanyard that I tie to my beltloop and keep in my front pants pocket, that won't work with a long jacket though. Around the neck would be my next choice.

Back