• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to get .69 Cal round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast your own! It’s a fraction of rhe price and very easy.

.69 caliber balls are prohibitively expensive to shoot if buying them pre-made. Make friends with your local roofers and I’ll bet you’ll be finding pure lead flashing on your doorstep for all the price of a pack of beer.
When it comes to the larger balls this is especially true. The larger sizes are hard to find and are pretty expensive.

Looking for recommendations on who sells .69 cal round balls.

Thanks!
I cast most of the roundballs and conicals I use, but I have purchased some not-so-common size roundballs from Eddie May, though it was maybe over 10 years ago. Might be worth a phone call. No idea if he is still in business.

Eddie May Cast Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225

LEM Moulds there in Blackpool England there on E mail.
Rudyard
LEM had a good reputation, though Les McQuire has passed a number of years ago. Last I heard, his son Glenn I believe, took over the business, but was only making conical molds. Working in memory here, so something to confirm.

For whatever reason and no idea if current, the contact information I have for the re-booted LEM is [email protected]m, with a telephone number of 01253 596936, if someone is interested in contacting. My info is over 5 years old. Wish you all the luck.

I was getting my trailer tires balanced at the local small-town garage, the owner had about 300# of used wheel weights in a bucket he wanted to sell for 25 cents a pound. The only smoothbore I shoot is a 12Ga that loves a patched .700 ball. I will probably go back to the garage and buy 50# or so of the wheel weights just to have on hand to cast balls for my fowler in case a SHTF scenario happens.

I have about 75# of soft lead but would rather save that for my rifles, my .72 eats up lead an alarming rate so wheel weights are probably the ticket.

A fisherman friend was given about 150# of lead ingots that he wasn't going to use. I looked at them but the lead was even harder than wheel weight lead. My fingernail wouldn't even scratch this lead.

I wanted to add that I've also got some of the hand-cast .69 caliber lead round balls (in two sizes) from Track of the Wolf, and I thought that many of the balls had rather prominent sprues, not the "flat where the sprue was removed" as per their item description.

I wanted to add that I've also got some of the hand-cast .69 caliber lead round balls (in two sizes) from Track of the Wolf, and I thought that many of the balls had rather prominent sprues, not the "flat where the sprue was removed" as per their item description.
Thanks good to know. When firing that ammo, was accuracy affected to a great deal?

Thanks good to know. When firing that ammo, was accuracy affected to a great deal?
Not that I could tell (only one range trip so far with that gun and that ammo), but it was a smoothbore, and I also made sure to align the sprue with the bore axis when loading.

I was getting my trailer tires balanced at the local small-town garage, the owner had about 300# of used wheel weights in a bucket he wanted to sell for 25 cents a pound. The only smoothbore I shoot is a 12Ga that loves a patched .700 ball. I will probably go back to the garage and buy 50# or so of the wheel weights just to have on hand to cast balls for my fowler in case a SHTF scenario happens.

I have about 75# of soft lead but would rather save that for my rifles, my .72 eats up lead an alarming rate so wheel weights are probably the ticket.

A fisherman friend was given about 150# of lead ingots that he wasn't going to use. I looked at them but the lead was even harder than wheel weight lead. My fingernail wouldn't even scratch this lead.
Oh yeah. When there's a contaminated batch of metal that doesn't want to fill out the ribs on bullets I can jack up the temperature and get some great .67-.68 round ball out of it.

Pick out all the zinc WW's and melt at 600 degrees, DO NOT FLUX. Skim all off the sutface that floats. After the surface is clean, then you flux.

Latest posts

Back