• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to get blackpowder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine4574

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Flintlock Pennsylvania rifle. I've cleaned it and really want to try it out but am having trouble finding real black powder locally. Everyone has Pyrodex, 777, etc. Online, most places have a 5lb minimum. Any ideas where to order? Thanks

Graf and Sons will sell small amount last I checked. The problem with that is the HazMat fee remains the same no matter if you order one pound or 50. This makes ordering one pound ridiculously expensive.
Is there a Bass Pro shop anywhere near you? They carry Goex. It's on the high side but still cheaper than paying a HazMat fee for a pound.
You will need to speak to the manager. They are not allowed to keep it on display. It will be stored in the back and many regular employees won't even know that they carry it.

This is one of the times you need some buddies. As long as you all agree before you order you can order a 25 lb. case and split it up. This reduces the haz/mat fee per lb. The trick is in the timing, our club can "resell" powder to those that were members when we ordered, but those who join must wait until we place the next order after they joined. :idunno: :idunno:

No Bass Pro close by but there is a Gander MTN. I work in the hunting/archery industry so surely someone I know can point me in the right direction.

No BP locally here so I ordered from Graf. Ordered 3lbs and it evened out in price with the fees. Order more, even better.
But, they will sell 1lb if you want.

My orders usual are either 10 or 20 pounds. I use a lot of 1 1/2f for cartridge, so keeping the 2&3f on hand is never a problem. Hazmat fee isn't too bad even on 10 lbs.

So I calculated the gas for the round trip, not very far at an hour each way, and saw the price for Graf's own brand of powder, and it was pretty close to the hazmat fee so I'm not saving much by a road trip. SO broke down and bought a pretty good sized order for me and a couple of buddies. Came to $16.87 a pound. Comparing that to $25 a pound when it can be found OTC, or $19.87 if I bought GOEX from Grafs... :shocked2: ...had to give their stuff a try.

LD

I shoot a lot of their 3f, you won't be dissatisfied. I do however still use Swiss 1 1/2 f for the bigger stuff, and to reduce power when desired.

Maine powderhouse website is still up; didn't call though. Somewhere a month or so back I read about one of the large BP suppliers going out of business but can't remember which one.

Back