• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to get BP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What do most of you do, order or pickup BP? I dont know where to pickup any and a really dont want to pay the HAZ. fee for shipping. what do you reccomend? using pyrodex right now, its all we can get.

newtewsmoke said:
What do most of you do, order or pickup BP? I dont know where to pickup any and a really dont want to pay the HAZ. fee for shipping. what do you reccomend? using pyrodex right now, its all we can get.

You can pick it up from Grafs over in Mexico, MO. You might find a distributor closer to you by doing an internet search.

The hazmat fees are outrageous, but if you can get together with some friends or club members and order a case, black powder can be had for $13 or so a pound delivered. I'll bet that is even cheaper than you pay for any of the subs over the counter.

newt - Living where you do, you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay hazmat and shipping fees to get real BP, unless you can drive somewhere for less than $45 or so and pick it up. Being able to find BP over the counter is getting to be extremely hard and I don't think it's going to get any better. If you do order online or by mail, get at least 25# and have some friends split it with you.

Depending upon where you actually live in NC-NE, I have a good friend in the Amelia, NE area (south of Atkinson) who may have some BP he'd be willing to part with, or if he's low, may be willing to split a case with you. If interested in that, let me know here and I can get in touch with him and PM you the details . . .

Otter said:
newt - Living where you do, you are probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay hazmat and shipping fees to get real BP, unless you can drive somewhere for less than $45 or so and pick it up. Being able to find BP over the counter is getting to be extremely hard and I don't think it's going to get any better. If you do order online or by mail, get at least 25# and have some friends split it with you.

Depending upon where you actually live in NC-NE, I have a good friend in the Amelia, NE area (south of Atkinson) who may have some BP he'd be willing to part with, or if he's low, may be willing to split a case with you. If interested in that, let me know here and I can get in touch with him and PM you the details . . .
Your friend is prob. around 150 or so miles east of me, may work. Ill get with you if/when we decide for sure what to do. Thanks Scott

Your'e going to pay the hazmat fee whether you buy your powder via mail order or locally. The cheapest over the counter black powder (Goex) that I can get locally is $16/lb. not including sales tax and my gas to get there and back. Mail order Goex can be had for as little as $13/lb in bulk (25 lb order) from Powder, Inc; a 10 lb order is $16.25. Those prices INCLUDE hazmat fees and shipping.

Don't kid yourself. While buying locally is convenient (IF there's a local place that sells it) and you can buy as little as 1 lb at a time for the same price per pound as 10 lbs, you're paying the hazmat fee.

I am fortunate to have a local guy that sells BP.
$17.00 a lb. I consider it a good price for all things considered.
What other item in the world has more bang for the buck? :wink:

:thumbsup: I USUALLY PURCHASE MY BP FROM BLACK POWDER INC, IN CLARKSVILLE, ARKANSAS, REASONABLE PRICES AND GOOD SELECTION OF DIFFERENT POWDERS IE SWISS, SHUTZEN, ETC. AND IF U BY IN 25 LBS U HAVE 'NOUGH TO LAST SEVERAL YEARS AND U CAN MIX N MATCH. TRACKER JIM

Have a little cash stash burning a hole in my pocket and I swore the next time this happened I would set myself up good with goex 3f. It's impossible to get BP on this Island and scarce anywhere in Alaska anyway, but we do have one distributor that will order it for us and have it shipped direct once they find a barge operator with an explosives lisence. The cost for a 25lb case, plus shipping, is going to cost me $25.45 per pound, but that should last me the rest of my shooting years! Wes

Check out the "Rondys" near you. The big "Rondys" will have Powder Dealers that sell by the case,can or bulk. The annual "Rondy" at Chadron,Neb. might be a chance for you to pick up powder. The Bear River Powder Co. Of Wyoming is there most years with a couple of tons of Black. :thumbsup:

I know this is off subject but what is the shelf life of real BP in a sealed can? How long after opening a can will it last? I ask cause if I buy 3 or 4 lbs I don't want it to go bad before I let the smoke out. :wink:

Paul

PaulB said:
I know this is off subject but what is the shelf life of real BP in a sealed can? How long after opening a can will it last? I ask cause if I buy 3 or 4 lbs I don't want it to go bad before I let the smoke out. :wink:

Paul

As long as it's kept dry, your great-grandkids will still be able to shoot it.

BP made from pure ingredients is very stable.
30-40 years will make no change. In sealed cans or bottles the container may fail first.

Dan

Black Powder stored in less than perfect conditions for over 100 years have been known to explode. I have had old cans of Dupont Powder where the cans rusted thru and the powder was still active. The powder lasting longer than the can. :thumbsup:

fyrfyter43 said:
PaulB said:

Paul

As long as it's kept dry, your great-grandkids will still be able to shoot it.
Just as a side note - If your powder would happen to get wet, or damp, you can spread it on a dry surface, set it in the sun (or inside in a dry room) and it will be usable after it drys. If it gets "soaked" the drying process may be more trouble than it's worth, though.

BTW, PaulB - When I was shooting a lot more than I do now, 3 or 4 pounds of BP wouldn't last 2 Rendezvous. I was using 25 - 30 pounds a year. Not so much anymore.

You will have to pay HAZMAT $22.50 + $.50 insurance from Grafs but they do not charge shipping. Best prices I have found on the web. I just wish they carried KIK.

runnball said:
You will have to pay HAZMAT $22.50 + $.50 insurance from Grafs but they do not charge shipping. Best prices I have found on the web. I just wish they carried KIK.
You need to get out more:
BPPricesbybrand2-19.jpg

The above prices include shipping and hazmat fees where applicable and charged. Shipping was based on a location in mid-Michigan.

Graf's is actually the sixth most expensive for Goex, and their house brand is substantially more than Jack's Powder Keg. BTW, Graf's price is $13.99 per pound and they charge $4.50 for 'handling and insurance'. Adding the $22.50 hazmat fee and 1 lb costs $40.99. Buying in bulk (25 lbs) will bring the per pound price down to $15.57 per pound, while Powder Inc's 25 lb price is just $13.10; Jack's Powder Keg is the least expensive at $12.60 for the bulk 25 lb. buy.

Back