• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whew! UGLY knife.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I almost hate to admit I made this knife but I guess you should see the bad as well as the good.

This is my patch knfe. It is forged from O-1 tool steel. The blade on this forging is extremely thin. The blade and heat treating came out really nice.

The blade of the knife is 3 1/2" and total length is just shy of 7 inches. The handle has 5/32 maple slabs sanded oval. They are covered with doe rawhide and that is sewn and wrapped with buffalo sinew.
uglyknife.jpg

The sheath is thin vegetable tanned leather covered in a very punished elk rawhide. The rivets are lead.

Sorry to hurt your eyes like this. Your comments and laughter will be appreciated.

Joe Yanta

I usually don't comment on other people's ugly stuff but:

That is an ugly knife!

Ugly sheath too!

:front:

I love it!!! I'll take it off your hands. Looks like something an honest hardworking hunter/trapper would have.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that knife...it looks original...something you should be proud of...it takes a lot of work to make something look original! Good job! :front: Looks like a lot of time and effort went into that knife!

Hey Joe, I really like that look. I've been making some knives with the "period look" and have been surprised at the responses from people. Its almost like the more primitive the better. I think its due to the natural materials and the fact that you dont see too many knives like that.

:nono:Give me a break!!! :: I'll show ya UGLY!! :shocking: :crackup: :crackup:
UC-1274L.jpg

If ya still think your's is ugly, please put it(yours) up for bid on the forum. Ya just might get suprised. :imo:

Wow, thanks for your comments. I still think it would win an ugly knife contest.

Its kinda ironic when your building knives. I can hammer out a modern knife and sheath in a day. But when you try to make something look really old and punished it takes about 10 days and that is 3 days for the knife and 7 for the sheath.

When you punish rawhide it is really you who gets punished. The sheath might not look it but it is really from fitted. Several days of molding wet rawhide, building curved blocks to clamp it in. It will twist on you and you cant get your knife back in the sheath so you have to punish it some more. I think I have 3 evenings of just staining the leather and another evening putting it together.

The lead rivets are sweet to work with and holy cow do they hold tight. If your sheath ever becomes a little loose you can easily tighted it up with a couple of rocks.

Here is a picture of the knife in the sheath and a scale.

uksheath.jpg

I really appreciate your comments, it takes a leap of faith to post a picture of something you made.

Now, what can I make next?

Joe Yanta

I'll tell ya what...I would take that knife any day over what I see offered on ebay...for that matter over a lot of what I see offered on some folks web pages as well. Great Job!

Each to his own taste said the farmer as he kissed his cow :no: I like it :thumbsup:

i like it i like the rustic native feel of it thats how i like my stuff to be and river rat is lookin for a knife

Dunno as I go so far as to call it ugly, but more utilitarian maybe. Form followed function without embellishment. Nothing wrong with that style of craftsmanship. The grip looks to be rough enough so as to not slip out of a wet hand, and actually looks to be fairly comfortable to hold.

Elegant in its simplicity, does it's job and does it well, and well, it's also pretty much theft-proof :crackup: Who could ask for more?

ifin thar knif is ugggly i'll tak one ofin ya goodin knifs :hatsoff: ....i jest hopp me knif coms out that goodin........bob

Dunno as I go so far as to call it ugly, but more utilitarian maybe. Form followed function without embellishment. Nothing wrong with that style of craftsmanship. The grip looks to be rough enough so as to not slip out of a wet hand, and actually looks to be fairly comfortable to hold.

Elegant in its simplicity, does it's job and does it well, and well, it's also pretty much theft-proof Who could ask for more?

Yea, what Vic said!, I agree!

I really appreciate your comments, it takes a leap of faith to post a picture of something you made.

Now, what can I make next?

Joe Yanta

How about an Ooloo (Ulu)?

I made this one for my brother...

P3260002.jpg

I almost hate to admit I made this knife but I guess you should see the bad as well as the good.

This is my patch knfe. It is forged from O-1 tool steel. The blade on this forging is extremely thin. The blade and heat treating came out really nice.

The blade of the knife is 3 1/2" and total length is just shy of 7 inches. The handle has 5/32 maple slabs sanded oval. They are covered with doe rawhide and that is sewn and wrapped with buffalo sinew.
uglyknife.jpg

The sheath is thin vegetable tanned leather covered in a very punished elk rawhide. The rivets are lead.

Sorry to hurt your eyes like this. Your comments and laughter will be appreciated.

Joe Yanta

UGLY???! Naw, I know ugly when I see it. Every morning in the mirror, when I crawl out of the blankets. Now that's ugly! What you have is a fine example of an Native American modified blacksmith made trade knife. Hey, we are our own worst critics.

Nuff said! :imo:

:nono:Give me a break!!! :: I'll show ya UGLY!! :shocking: :crackup: :crackup:
[image too disgusting to display again!]
If ya still think your's is ugly, please put it(yours) up for bid on the forum. Ya just might get suprised. :imo:

While I am in total agreement with you sniper68, did you have to turn our stomaches by posting that photo! Man, that's sick!

Just :m2c:

Back