• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which ball to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I finished shooting these day into my sand trap. Im looking for a good bullet to use on elk.
Out of these 3, which would you choose?

Speer .530 round ball, 224g?

Homecast-1 .530 224g?

Homecast-2 .530 224g?

Picture130.jpg

:haha: You can see that i started to write down #4, that actually was going to be a 4th choice but i decided against it due to it looking like #1 and #2 choice.

:rotf: thats funny Rat, Figures you want to see one of those.

If you will test fire additional balls into your test medium, I think you will find that each will expand equally, depending on what they hit in the " sand box ". One shot is generally not enough to form a conclusion.

The suggestion to try Hornady RBs is also a good idea. I have shot both Speer, and Hornady RB in my .45, and my .50, and like them both. It usually comes down to what the price is for each brand at the time I am buying more. I have taken the time to weigh both brands, and to measure them with calipers for consistent sizing, and don't find much difference. Others claims that one or the other makes a better ball. I don't feel any difference in loading them with the same lubed patching material down my barrel. Nor do groups sizes seem to be different.

All this may prove to be different with your gun and the balls you are testing. If you can get great accuracy out of a home cast ball, USE IT. :thumbsup:

Im planning on using HC-2 I was looking for something that expanded with my charge and would make a bigger hole. I think i found it but the lead i use for HC-2 is expensive!

I fired more than one shot, 3 shots each. 3 of HC-2 blew right through my sand trap and left a big exit hole so im pretty much set on these. Now i have to go recover those 3 lead balls from my safety bullet stopper.

Just want to make sure i get a good blood trail on deer/elk.

Been quite a bit of posts over the years about finding very little blood or none at all with PRB. I feel pretty confident with HC-2.

"Been quite a bit of posts over the years about finding very little blood or none at all with PRB. I feel pretty confident with HC-2.'

Some have mentioned this, I suspect that if hit in the right spot the animal would not go so far as to need a heavy blood trail to follow, but it can't hurt to punch a bigger hole on the other side.

I don't track blood trails. That would be like looking for the frosting on the cake, rather than the cake crumbs. Few and Far betwen.

Learn to read and follow Deer tracks.

Most bleeding in deer shot with RB is Internal. Then if blood does come out one or both holes, the fur on a deer absorbs a lot of blood. Its not unusual to find some blood spurted out on to surrounding brush and plants where the animal is standing when its hit, and some splashes of blood on the plants and forest floor for a few years as the adrenalin kicks in and accelerated the pulse rate. But, if the animal does not bleed so much that its blood pressure drops to the point it passes out, within 50 yards of where its hit, that blood is likely to stop appearing on the ground and brush altogether, and only if a deer brushes the wound against brush or trees, will you see any blood evidence.

Blood evidence is a Luxury, not the main course for trackers and hunters. The groups that teach " Blood trailing" don't even teach the most important information you can have about following blood spots from a wounded deer. When a deer stops running, and goes to walking when its wounded, blood drops, when they appear will be approx. 4 feet apart. I don't know exactly why, and it obviously is different with the smaller subspecies of deer like the Key and Sitka deer, but for Whitetails, the 4 foot rule seems to apply pretty universally. Cut a stick to a foot over your belt, and when you find a drop of blood put the stick next to it, and then walk forward in the direction the TRACKS tell you the deer is going, and let the stick lay down toward the ground as you stoop down to take a good look around the end of the stick. Usually, within 6 inches one way or another, you will find some blood evidence. It may be a pin hole size drop, but it will be there.

The other thing they don't teach you about blood trailing is that blood does floresce. If you are trailing at night time, a black light, or a flashlight with a blue lens will make the blood " Pop out " from the forest and grass floors, making it much easier to track down a wounded deer at night. Wearing orange or red tinted glasses will help you see the blood quicker, too. The blood does floresce better when its wet, rather than dry, but even dried blood shows up some.

My suggestion is to save some chicken blood, or blood from any meat that you eat---- just pour it into a container you can cap and can be thrown away or cleaned to reuse---- and test out your equipment in your back yard, to see what works, and how it will look to you.

Thanks for the Info Paul. :hatsoff:

I've only had one PRB hunting experience and it dropped in its tracks with a .490 ball to the head. This year will be different and i'll have a lot of stuff in my way, along with a harder animal to hunt.

Im just worried about lack of blood due to the unit i will be hunting this year.

Just a couple pictures so everyone understands my worry.

100_0358.jpg

100_0266.jpg

HuntingArea084.jpg

If that is the kind of country you are hunting, a 50 yard shot is going to be along one, unless you happen to be hear a road and spot an animal crossing it. Logging roads are great for getting into and out of areas, but I don't see many tracks of animals using them to go anywhere, In fact, they tend to avoid them, particularly if anyone has been driving them with gasoline powered vehicles. You do find crossings, as you do any roadway, but you can't expect elk to stand in the middle of the road with a bullseye on their chests for you.

If you are going to shoot your .54 cal. rifle, any lead ball will work just fine. If you are casting your own, try casting a harder lead alloy, such as from Wheelweights, to make a harder projectile that will penetrate further. It won't expand as well as a pure lead ball, but it surely will penetrate.

According to the Hodgdon manual, the T/C Maxi-ball does well with loads from 100 to 120 grains of FFg. It weighs 400 grains, or just less than an ounce, and it should go through the front of an elk and out the back!

Its a 1:60 twist great plains rifle. I like round balls and dont plan on shooting anymore conicals unless its for testing.

There are open fields that i hunt in the early morning and towards mid day 11-12ish i will hunker down up in a rock cliff and then watch and listen to the heavy timber. Once it warms up in this area the elk go into that thick dark timber where it is cooler.

Havent hunted this area in 3-4 years so it will kind of be like starting over again.

I don't know about bigger game, but the two deer I killed this year. One with a .54 GPR and the other with my .50 Lancaster. Both were complete pass thought. Both were bleeding out both sides.
Even my old eyes could follow the blood trail with no trouble. One went about 20 yds. The other about 50 yards.
Old Charlie

How far were the deer when you shot them?

Im not worried about poking a hole through both sides, i want penetration and a good blood trail to follow. I am more of a shoulder shooter so i can get the heart.

Both were about 70 yds away. The .54 had 85 grains of 3f goex and the .50 had 80 grains of 3f goex.
Old Charlie

Back