• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Bandsaw to buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strask

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up my work shop and I want to add a band saw to my list of toys. :grin: I will use this for things other than gun building but that will be its primary task.

Do you have any preferences to brand and why? Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

I have a Ryobi (sp) i bought at home depot that works ok but if i was to get real serious i would take a close look at Grizzly products. A friend has several of they`er products including a large bandsaw and they`er very well built at a good price. Send for they`er free cat.
Grizzly

I have a 14" Grizzly Z series bandsaw and am very happy with it. Their Z series of tools have US made motors. I have several other Grizzly tools and they all work well.

bought a Ridgid 14 inch bandsaw at Home Depot (it was a demo/floor model and on sale) the Ridgid folks are really good, and the thing comes with a lifetime guarantee, so i couldn't be happier.

next up- a not- el- cheapo table saw... prepare for sticker shock

I have a 14" Delta with the ball bearing blade guides. Not cheap, but high quality, will last a lifetime.

MSW said:
bought a Ridgid 14 inch bandsaw at Home Depot (it was a demo/floor model and on sale) the Ridgid folks are really good, and the thing comes with a lifetime guarantee, so i couldn't be happier.

next up- a not- el- cheapo table saw... prepare for sticker shock

thats what I have... put about $100 more into it and it cuts great now... roller blocks/guides and a good re-saw blade. I don't too much care for the stand either, had to cut about 4" off the legs. If I had my choice of things/ or a do over I would have a Grizzly or a Delta.

I bought a 14" Jet 3 years ago and added the extra cost roller guides last Fall, and I'm quite happy with it. So far I've re-sawed boards up to 4" wide and it works like a champ. Emery

A few yrs. back I bought a 14" Jet and was very disappointed w/ the cheap, plastic blade guides, so installed roller bearing blade guides from Woodcraft which enable me to saw right on the line. A big time saver when sawing out a blank, especially for the BP. To me, these guides are more important than the specific brand of bandsaw. Also the blade is very important....for blanks, I use 3 TPI and 6 TPI blades and both cut as fast as I can push which is possible w/ the power of a 14" bandsaw.........Fred

I have a 14" Laguna, love it. I am a pretty serious woodworker and cabinet builder, so it gets used a lot, it's never given me a bit of trouble, and it's big enough to do just about anything you need.

I have heard the Grizzly bandsaw and other equi. or great and well built. I havn't had the chance to purchase anything but buffing compound and buffing wheels for polishing brass. :cursing: I recently got a new Craftsman 14" bandsaw and I really like it. It has a re-saw cut height of 8" and the big table (17-1/2 x 20") is great for cutting out my gun stocks. It even has a way to slow down the blade speed. The blades are hard to find (94-3/4) but I get a friend to make mine and they last a long time.

Preference.. Laguna.. reality.. Grizzly G0555 14" good value. I did get the riser block for 12" vertical capacity (that decreases throat to 13 1/2" pick your poison) I'd consider the G0555X (cast iron wheels, just after I bought mine)but it's quite a bit more money. I HIGHLY recommend the "Wood Slicer" 1/2" (thin kerf) resaw blade from "highlandwoodworking dot com". It's a $30 blade but I can cut 1/16" veneer with it so cleanly that it's ready to finish sand. Oh btw the blade that comes with the Grizzly is manure, don't even bother to put it on. Get several $10-15 range blades in various widths if you do different things. 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2(resaw) Small bandsaws don't have the strength to tension a blade wider than 1/2". Rig a brush to sweep the sawdust off lower wheel. Rig additional vacuum just below the table at the blade. A mobile base can be very handy and so can a magnetic base "stick on" worklight to attach to the side of the wheel cover so you can see. Decide on the riser block or not ..BEFORE.. you buy blades :grin:

Thanks to you all. I appreciate the info. I will let you know which I end up with.

Scott

Back