• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which BP Manual?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo15563

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to order Either the Lyman 2nd Edition or the Gun Digest 4th Edition, both of whom are written by Sam Fadala. I'd like to hear some opinions on the content. Which do you feel has the most/best information? Or, does each have enough unique content to make owning both worthwhile?

both.jpg

Thanks,
Jimbo

After buying a few different manuals by Sam over the years, I realized each editon basically regurgitates all the same info as before, then adds in a couple pages of stuff that may have come out since the last edition, which mainly would be inlines, smokeless muzzleloaders, etc.

If I could only get one of the two you reference, I'd get the Lyman version based on Lyman's Black Powder history and track record...(I have a couple copies of the original Lyman from the early 70's)...even if Sam was contracted to write this newer edition for Lyman, surely Lyman had oversight/approval of the content.

On the other hand, a good approach is to buy as many different manuals as you can afford...

I've never found anything Fadala wrote to be of any use. Unles of course you're into inlines and sabots. His flint gun and roundball info is just plain screwy. :youcrazy:

I bought the Lyman version, mainly for the tables of loads---> velocity---> energy that make up the last half of the book (about 150 pages of charts). They are nice enough, but they do NOT cover the one caliber in which I was most interested. I was a bit bummed out by that. I recognize every possible combination would have been impossible to address in this type of publication, but the .40 is pretty darn popular! Nevertheless, those charts are useful and "close enough" extrapolations will take care of the combinations not listed.

The first 150 pages are a pretty basic introduction to ML / BP shooting. If you are already shooting BP, or will be starting with someone to coach you through the basics, this portion of the book is of marginal utility. The main value it provides is putting the info in a hard-copy format you can browse through, which sometimes helps me identify things I didn't know to ask the veterans on this forum about before.

I have no knowledge of the Gun Digest version and cannot make a comparison between the two.

Quite many years ago I bought Dr. Sams Blackpowder Notebook.I found it quite usefull and earmarked many pages.

Toss a coin. I have both and find them informative. You will get good info from either, but you will also through your own experience, find what works for you.

I have the Lyman from early to mid eighties. It was fascinating then, as a neophyte. It is still enjoyable reading. As I haven't had it out of the box in a number of years, I may get it out just to enjoy it again, since you gents reminded me. :bow: :grin:
God bless.
volatpluvia

I'll sell you my hardly ever used Sam Fadala manual for 1/2 the cover price, and I'll pay shipping.

Back