• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year I am torn between two hunts. I will be using my Cabelas (Pedersoli) double 12 gauge.
Both hunts will cost pretty much the same amount of cash for three days of hunting, November 12-14, 2009.

1st: Goose hunt Katy,Texas
2nd: Pheasant hunt Kansas, around Atwood area.

I have the dog also. which hunt would you go on?

Pheasant hunt Kansas, around Atwood area.

Goose hunts are too affected by the weather.

RDE

Hmm. That is a tough question. Right now I am visualizing both locations and they pretty much seem to be of rough equal distances from the Tar Heel State.

The Kansas hunt will be much colder in my opinion. That may be a factor in your decision making process. The goose hunt to me would yield more meat per bird but I believe you can shoot more pheasants that geese in Texas.

Which of the two have you gone to before? I'd say go to the one hunt you have less experience with.

Bigbore, I have lived most of my life on the West coast, so I have done lots of Goose and Pheasant. I have not done either hunt in either state. Other than California and Oregon. I have lived here on the East coast now for 2 years

That is why I am trying to decide which one. I want to do both, but I cannot do that. So I am asking all you folks to see what tickles your trigger finger. :grin:

November in Kansas can be brutal, last time we were there, the dogs could not work because of the snow and ice. Their feet were cut and bleeding.

On a goose hunt here, you can shoot geese and ducks from the same spread. But if it's a blue bird day, then the geese are going to be a mile high and shooting is limited to none.

In Texas the guides will pull hunters out at noon, birds or no birds. This is to let a field and the geese rest in the afternoon. I assume you can hunt pheasants all day in Kansas if the morning is not productive.

I know that in both places some guides/outfitters have stocked fields with other birds to hunt in the afternoons when you are finished with hunting in the morning. Are you considering that?

I guess I would ask myself which is my passion and follow it.

RDE

I'd go for the pheasant. Goose hunting is too hit and miss as far as whether the birds are flying or not.

Pheasant!!!! Nothin like taking that shot at a bird as he comes up out of the high grass and levels off.

Kinda depends whether you prefer hiking or hiding in a blind. I like both, so why not look for option #3- someplace that would let you do both. If the goose guides want you out of their lives by noon, pick a hunting location that lets you goose hunt in the morning and move to a nearby spot to hunt something else in the afternoon. If not pheasant, how about quail or doves?

YOu can hunt Geese along the Eastern Flyway right there in N. Carolina. Take the Pheasant hunt in Kansas. You are more likely to see birds, and get shots, and you don't find pheasants much in N. Carolina.

Talk to your State Game Department to find guided goose hunts closer to you. Canada geese are huge, and unless you have a very large Labrador Retriever, I would not expect a dog to be retrieving many of them!

Oh, are you hunting wild birds, with the State daily bag limit applying, or will you be on a Hunting Preserve, where you pay for the birds they put out, whether you hit them or not? Hunting preserves sound " tame " but you also can shoot as many birds as you can pay for. In most states, you are allowed to shoot BOTH cocks and hen pheasants on game farms, while you only can shoot Cock Pheasants that are wild. If you are looking to go home with a cooler full of pheasant meat, you might keep this in mind.

We have game preserves( farms) here in Illinois, where you can shoot as many birds in a day as you pay for. Its great training for both man and dog. One local preserve is owned and operated by a fine dog trainer, and her dogs are a beauty to watch, both the pointers and her retriever. I once got so wrapped up watching the dogs hold point, I almost forgot to mount my gun and shoot when the bird flushed! I used my BP, DB shotgun to hunt birds on the Preserve.

The last consideration, but an important one, is that for Waterfowl, you are required to shoot NON-toxic Shot. Unless you have done lots of work to pattern your choice of shot, this can be both an expensive, and limiting range factor. I used Steel shot the last time I went goose hunting, because that is all that was available that was legal. I don't recommend steel shot, as its not a good killer even when the geese are within range.

Today, we have alternatives, but you need a second mortgage on the house to buy the stuff! YOu can use regular lead shot when hunting pheasants. And, Bag limits on Canada geese tend to be pretty small- 1-3 birds a day depending on where you hunt. That makes the cost of travel to hunt geese even more expensive, since most of us have to limit the number of days we can be gone on a hunt, and just can't wait for it to cloud up so we can shoot a few geese!

If you wait and hunt in February and March, for Snow geese, or " Blue " geese, which are smaller birds, the daily bag limit is usually HUGE- 15 birds here in Illinois. The Downside is that the birds are hard to call into range, and many people don't care for the taste of the meat, claiming its " muddy". Apparently they don't know how to soak meat to remove the blood and with it those bad flavors, or how to cook it properly.

Mechanical Callers are allowed now here In Illinois, so calling is a bit easier, but again, if you have a Blue Sky day, you need binoculars to see them, and no BP shotgun is going to reach them at the height they fly over.

I like the idea of finding a place where you can hunt both ducks and geese from the same blind. But, find it closer to home.

Just my thoughts. Have fun no matter what you choose. :hatsoff:

I would say the goose hunt, but I love waterfowl hunting more then any other type of hunting. I'm from Kansas but I dont ever go pheasant hunting.
I'm looking for a double 12 or 10 for waterfowl hunting, I think it would be a blast out on the water shooting a double smoke pole.

Thank you all for the replies,

My passion is both I love Pheasant and Waterfowl. My lab last year was out retreiving Swans, and he has no problem on Honkers. I have asked the guide in Kansas about goose hunting, and the place is wild birds as I am told, not a preserve. We have plenty of them here in North Carolina.

Keep them coming.

KYFlintlock,
Yes I have eaten allot of geese, and Pheasant, that is why it is hard to choose. But my goose hunt has turned into a 2 day Brant hunt, and if I send my dog out to South Dakota, to perform in a pointing hunt test, I will get to do Pheasant while I am there.

If you need to learn how to make Goose taste terrific, or pheasant for that matter, send me a PT, and I will help you. I have considerable experience cooking both, and can give you guidance on preparing the meat after the kill, and cooking it so that it is both tender, and tasty. ( OH, I have also ruined both Goose and Pheasant on occasions trying a new recipe, and I know what I did wrong.) Beware skinny cooks, and people who deny that they have ever ruined a dish or meal as a cook. :rotf: :shocked2: :hatsoff:

Go on the pheasant hunt because pheasants taste a lot better than goose and shooting a goose with a muzzleloading shotgun is harder than a pheasant. You also have a better chance of seeing pheasants rather than geese. Just my opinion.

Back