• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which is historically correct, precut patches or cut at muzzle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just a guess, but I'm sure the methodology was as varied then as it is today. That being said, from what I have seen and read, it seems both methods are historical. However, I believe cutting at the barrel was more common. This would explain the commonality of a patch knife.
I agree with the idea that most were cut at the muzzle
Howsomever’patch knife is a modern term.
When Audubon wrote about Boone loading he just calls it belt knife

A good question and something to think about. On one hand one would think just cut at the muzzle while loading. On the other hand if a hunter were out and the local inhabitants who had been there for centuries didn't appreciate him encroaching in their back yard and decided to do something about it, precut patches would enable him to load faster.

Well square works fine and there are the daisy shaped , the Central Europeans used triangular. I doubt in any side by side testing if any shape cit perfect or not makes any difference
Blackpowder maniac shoots a patch strip such as you would use cutting at the muzzle. With his he cut almost though the strip every inch and a half. He starts the ball with his thumb and with a jerk pulls the rest of the strip free.
He shoots a loose load and doesn’t seem to get hard core accuracy, but I bet that’s because of his loose load not because of his style

I believe there is a reference to the women cutting rifle patches during the seige of Ft Boonesborough. Maybe someone can provide that documentation.

I've also often wondered if patch cut at the muzzle and "perfectly fitted" actually made a difference. I saw someone ask in another thread if anyone has compared both methods at the range and I don't believe there was an answer. My un-scientific instinct leads me to believe a perfect muzzle-trimmed patch would make little to no difference in accuracy, but I obviously can't back that up. I've always found precut patches faster to load, even without a loading block, so that's what I've stuck with until proved wrong. A nice custom-made patch knife is a sweet thing though!

Here’s my experience concerning accuracy. With my two most accurate rifles, which are usually capable of two inch groups at 75 yards, there was no difference in accuracy between precut patches and patches cut at the muzzle if I did everything else correctly and consistently. The nut behind the stock was the biggest problem.

I prefer cut at the muzzle since I’m not in a hurry, it’s easier to center the ball in the patch and it is a little less tedious for me. And of course, it’s the way I saw Herschel House do it, so it has to be correct!

Cutting at the muzzle just seems “right” to me.

The pre-cuts just aren’t nearly as satisfying to use.
This is important. Ml is a sport of slow. I swab between shots, who cares how long it takes.
Ten or fifteen shots in an afternoon at the range is fine with me

This is important. Ml is a sport of slow. I swab between shots, who cares how long it takes.
Ten or fifteen shots in an afternoon at the range is fine with me

Exactly! 👍👍

I don’t swab between shots but I still ain’t in no hurry when shooting muzzleloaders. Life goes fast enough as it is.

I like any lube that emulates Dixie Gun Works Old Zip Patch lube. (rendered sheep fat). I'll try your method , I've just never melted rendered sheep fat. Old Zip has been gone since around 1982. Bear fat rendered , is miraculous stuff , just ask any Eastern American Indian.

Seems to me that if your were attacked by Indians you would not take the extra time to cut at the muzzle but also might not even take the time to use a patch after the first shot
I know I wouldn't!

I have no way of knowing this for sure, but even if cutting at the muzzle was the overwhelming norm, i fail to believe that pre cut, especially for a rifle wielding soldier, was rare. Think of all the daily improvisations that you concoct to make your every day life easier. These guys were exceedingly industrious by demand, and if I was defending Boonesborough tomorrow id be cutting up patches and taking a couple balls out of my ball bag the night before.

I’m nearly positive a photo was posted here some time back that had men with their muzzleloaders and you can clearly see pre-cut patches on a string. I want to say @Notchy Bob posted that pic. Now I gotta see if I can find it.

Found it! My mind hasn’t completely left me either. @Notchy Bob had posted it in a different thread. I believe it was reported to have been taken around 1890. The man furthest left has pre-cut patches on a string. I believe the man third from left does as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 0
Found it! My mind hasn’t completely left me either. @Notchy Bob had posted it in a different thread. I believe it was reported to have been taken around 1890. The man furthest left has pre-cut patches on a string. I believe the man third from left does as well.

It's hard to tell by the picture. Perhaps those are cleaning patches for a jag? I guess we won't ever know for sure. 1890 is well past the traditional muzzleloading era so this would almost seem to bridge the gap between the original shooters and today's reenactors and hunters.

Back