• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Manufacturer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baranjhn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post, and while I have quite a bit of experience with firearms in general, I have almost none with muzzle loaders. Anyway, I thought I'd like to give one a try, but I'm not sure which manufacturer to buy from. I was looking at Lyman, Traditions, CVA, or? I don't want to invest too much money, and I have no problem buying used, in fact I'd prefer it that way. Who is the better maker, and in case I don't like it, which maker has a better resale value? I'm not really sure of the type of rifle I want yet. It'll probably be percussion, and something Hawkin like.

Thanks

For resale T/C, Lyman or Pedersoli would be good. You should check in the classifieds section here. There was a good deal on a T/C Hawken earleir today. It may still be there.

I have two Lyman Trade Rifles in .50 cal. percussion, one for me and one for my Son. Paid $295.00 each for them and both are new.

By not spending alot for the gun(s) themselves, I was able to invest in good acc's that make BP more fun and enjoyable. Range Rod, powder measure, rod kit, patches, powder, balls, conicals, loading tubes, BP cleaner, range box to put all the stuff in, etc.

Before you make an investment, you have to think about what you want to shoot, PRB (patched round ball) or conicals (Maxi-Balls), as these guns(BP in general, not trade rifles) can come with slow, fast or medium twist barrels. Most if not all Hawken style rifles come in a 1 in 48 twist barrel that will enable you to shoot both PRB and Maxi's! My Trade Rifles have the same 1 in 48 twist.

There are those of us in the BP community that like to put all shots thru a single hole. If that's you than look closer at PRB guns.

There are those of us that like to throw a big chunk of lead as far, fast, accurate,(you fill-in the blank) as possible and feel like they shot something...yeah you guessed it, I'm in this crowd :rotf: .

The nice thing about the 1 in 48 guns is that they let you do both :)

In the end it's whatever fits YOU that counts.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum and as I like to say to the newbies, "Welcome to the Dark Side" :rotf:

All the best, Dave

P.S.: Use REAL BLACK POWDER if it's available! Lights easier and smells good too :shocked2: .

I would go with Rebel. A T/C or a Lyman GPR and you wouldn't be going down the wrong patch. They are both excellent rifles and both have good resale value but I don't think you will have to worry about that until you deside to do a major upgrade later on.
Fox :thumbsup:

I,d stick to patched round ball also,Most primitive shoots are for patched roundball only

You get what you pay for. A kit guns parts are so much better than most of the mass produced ones out there.

I have had horror stories with CVA and Pedersoli and would never own either again.

First thing I would do is handle as many different guns as possible.

See what feels/fits the best.

If you can find a M/L club in the area and hang out and talk with the guys and most will probably let you take a few shots.

T/C, Lyman are both good choices to get started with.

Go slow and spend your money wisely.

Like most of us, one ML just isn't enough.

One is probably all you need, BUT, many is what you end up with.

Good luck and enjoy.

We're not sure where ya live at but I'll bet that there is a ML club close by. We're a right friendly bunch. Stop by the club and introduce yourself, I'd bet a grand, someone in that club would let you try their gun. If that goes OK, your new friend will introduce you to the rest of the gang and your shoulder will probally be sore by the end of the day. Handle as many rifles and smoothies as you can, then make a decision on what you want and someone at that club just might have a real nice used rifle for sale.

I have had poor experiences with CVA.

I have Lyman and T/C guns and they are good. T/C gets the nod for product support and Lyman looks a bit more authentic and my Lymans are more accurate than the T/Cs, but that could just be me.

I would second the inclusion of Pedersoli in my short list.

CS

I started out years ago with Traditions and have added many unwanted CVA's and I find them excellent shooters...they are considered to be cheap junk but I find them inexpensive and fine shooters..I now own many of each and have no problems..Lymans are nice and Thompson Centers are also excellent {American made too}

I just bought a TC Renegade 50 capper on gunbroker for $200. It just came in the mail and I really like it - haven't shot it yet, but it's exactly what I wanted - I like the buttplate and the fact that you can get replacement barrels for it in diff calibers/twists. The renegard is a great rifle for that.

If you don't see what you want on the board's trader forum, check gun broker - there's two TC Hawkins (I've been haunting there watching TC's...) for under $200 right now - but they'll bid up over I'm sure. Still.... try and find auctions closing at around 5:00 - especially on Friday at 5:00 - hardly anyone is looking at the auctions from 3-7pm... my little secret :winking:

Back