• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which manufacturer ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeeboy

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I received a replica 1860 Army .44cal BP revolver as a gift from someone without any paperwork.I was wondering how do I identify the manufacturer.It does not have any thing obvious just some small stamps on either side.
It does have the ser# stamped under the frame and where the barrel meets the frame.
Also I would like to use it to hunt deer but in Md we need at least 40 grains of powder,is that to much.
Thanks to anyone that can help.

I have a very old 36 cal colt repro that is stamped very faintly with the Uberti symbol. On the barrel it says Made in Italy andd Western Arms. I had that gun nearly 20 years before I found the symbol. The light just hit it right. There aren't a whole lot no names on the market however some of the older ones didn't seem to have a nname.

Buckeeboy said:
...a replica 1860 Army .44cal BP revolver...I would like to use it to hunt deer but in Md we need at least 40 grains of powder,is that to much.
Well, yes, probably. Not because it's unsafe or it will damage the gun, but because it's unlikely you can get 40 grains of powder and a ball in the chamber. I think 35 grains is about all that will fit.

Welcome to the forum. :)
The size of the chambers in these revolvers pretty much limits the amount of powder you can get into them.

Even when loading a .453 diameter roundball (yes, it is larger than the chambers and larger than the bore) into the chambers it is almost impossible to get over 35 grains of powder under it.
A slug, because of its length limits the amount of powder in the chamber even more.

I know there are folks who talk about hunting with guns like yours but in my opinion they are just too low in energy to be used on a deer sized critter.

Lymans book "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOC & LOADING MANUAL" says the maximum muzzle velocity their tests got out of a .44 revolver with a 8 inch barrel was 848 fps using 35 grains of GOEX 3Fg powder and 979 fps using 35 grains of Pyrodex P.

The muzzle energy for the GOEX load was 220 ft/lb and for the Pyrodex P load was 294 ft/lb.

A roundball looses velocity rapidly as it goes downrange so these figures are higher than the deer would receive.

Just my opinion but I would say enjoy your pistol for informal shooting and plinking and have fun with it. Don't use it for deer hunting unless if is for a point blank range finishing shot.

You might try one of the dragoon models or the Walker if you want to hunt deer. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with my 1860 at 25 yards or under, should put a deer down well if the correct shot placement is used. I've never found deer difficult to kill if they are hit correctly.

Mike Brooks said:
You might try one of the dragoon models or the Walker if you want to hunt deer. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with my 1860 at 25 yards or under, should put a deer down well if the correct shot placement is used. I've never found deer difficult to kill if they are hit correctly.

I agree, 20-25 yards and the proper bullet placement a 60 Army should get the job done. A Dragoon or Walker would be a better choice, more room for powder and a heavier conical bullet. I think bullet placement is key, a .22lr well take a deer if you put it in the right spot.

Thanks to all for your replies,I will enjoy just plinkink with it as I enjoy shooting B P as it is.
But can anybody help me identify who makes this without pictures.
Thanks again.

Even with pictures it could be darn near impossible to say who made your pistol if there are no makers names or stamps, other than two proof marks and the date code.

There were over 5 different companies that I can think of off hand that have made reproductions of the 1860 Colt Army over the past 40 years.

I know of at least one guy who has used the 1858 revolver to kill deer with a conical. In fact he sent me some of the conicals to try out in my sons 1858 or my Ruger Old Army. That said I would limit my attempt to about 20 yards and I intend to use as much powder as I can fit and have a decently accurate shot.

Years ago an acquaintance of my brother hit a buck with his rifle and the buck took off across in front of him. He quick drawed his Rogers & Spencer and piled the deer up on his nose. The rancher happened to witness the episode and seemed to gain much enjoyment, laying high praise on the boy for some fine shooting.

Another possibility is it could be a kit gun. I had a Lyman 1860 kit back in the 70's and I polished and filed every marking that wasn't a serial number. If it's well finished and appears factory then you're back to square one.

Back