• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which One to Start??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what rifle you are looking at, but the one I'm talking about bears no resemblance to one of those clunkers. Anyway, it's sold.

:v By going to a shop if possible, you then can hopefully find the wood that you like and check the fit of the gun to you.
Either the Lyman GPR or the TC's would be a better buy, IMHO, than the Pedersoli at a huge difference in price. I've never seen a GPR that didn't shoot well. Must be one somewhere but haven't seen it.
TC has an absolute can't be beat warranty.
But, if you have the money find a builder near you, go visit, cook up your "perfect gun" and do it. You only live once! :v

If you can afford a better gun it's best to buy it. You get higher quality parts and better build quality. Instead of a "cookie cutter" gun, you get a unique piece that can become a family heirloom. And it will appreciate in value. The quality will be there long after you've forgotten the price.

do what i did, put it together part by part.

I put this .58cal cva mountain rifle together for under $300. I got a brand new stock for $40 shipped (curly maple!!) and bought the barrel brand new for $109 shipped. To top it off, i have a .54cal barrel that i can swamp onto it when i want something a little easier on powder and lead.
rifle1-1.jpg

$40 stock i got off another traditional forum. Deer creek has the barrel for $95 + S.H.

I got the lock,tang,trigger,trigger guard and all the screws for $40 shipped off the forum where i got my stock. Already had the buttplate, $15 for my sights, already had the underrib and screws. I got one heck of a rifle for the deals i found along the way. Sweet shooter she is too.

Just picked up a cva hawken .54cal that i traded a .17 savage for. I think i got the better end of the deal as the 54 will put food on the table.

igun,

Buying ”one gun” is an investment and should be approached as such.

What are you going to do with the rifle, targets or hunting, offhand or bench?

I would not buy either the Lyman or Pedersoli without trying them for fit, does the stock fit you? Rifles with a lot of drop do not fit me.

Does one or the other have too much drop or is it too muzzle heavy for what you want? Is it comfortable to hold? Do you have the upper body strength to shoot the rifle off hand, not everyone can shoot a heavy rifle offhand. Are the sights the style you want? Is the length of pull acceptable for you?

Yes, the Pedersoli costs more, but then again, the Pedersoli with price increases, also increases the used value of them. I have several Pedersoli’s that if I wished to sell them, I could get more for them used, than what I paid for them new.

If cost is an issue you can go with the walnut versus maple and save about $200 or so, but then I would get the maple. I have the walnut and wish I had the maple.

Another Pedersoli to consider is the Tryon.

If you are going to buy only one rifle, I would go with the Pedersoli.

RDE

I don't think you will find too many stores that will carry traditional muzzle loaders. The Pedersoli has a 1" barrel and the GPR has a 15/16" barrel. This makes the Pedersoli a heavier gun to carry around. The feel of a 1" barrel compared to a 15/16" barrel just feels chunky. Both have a 14" length of pull and both shoot very well. As far as I can see, do you want to pay one price for a Lyman or pay twice as much for a Pedersoli :confused:

It's kinda like oats.

Good clean fresh oats are not cheap. Oats that have already been through the horse on the other hand, don't cost as much.

Nice going on the parts gun, there are some great deals out there on parts and used guns if you are quick enough, that is a very nice looking gun, hell you can even hunt Elk with a PRB with that one??

tg said:
Nice going on the parts gun, there are some great deals out there on parts and used guns if you are quick enough, that is a very nice looking gun, hell you can even hunt Elk with a PRB with that one??

Yep! This one will be my elk rifle. I took my first elk in november with my 54 so this is just a little upgrade and a reward :haha:

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions!

I took a look at 4 GPR's in person and must say that I liked them.
The fit and finish looked to me to be more than acceptable and I
think that these would make an excellent first gun. I am beginning to
think that 1 gun may be a little shortsighted. Maybe 2 guns are necessary!

Now to find a Pedersoli and give it a gander.

1Gun said:
...I am beginning to
think that 1 gun may be a little shortsighted. Maybe 2 guns are necessary!

Now to find a Pedersoli and give it a gander.

Actually seven is not enough. I still want a trade gun and another flinter or two. :grin:

Back