• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which rifled musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take Arms said:
I have found the Enfield 1853 3-bander (made by Euroarms and Armisport) to be most common in my neck of the woods... I think the Armisport model weighs just a tad bit more, if memory serves me... neither of the models is an exact replica, as the gun stock is slightly different than the originals... so most more-serious reenactors replace pieces of the gun to resemble an original (this process is called 'de-farbing') ... and yes, I belong to a more strict group, as we attempt to be as authentic as possible to replicate the conditions our ancestors fought under... so, no modern conveniences of any type, especially in the clothing dept.. don't get me wrong, but we enjoy the laid back atmosphere of a few less-than-authentic/farby events every now and then.. it's really all about going out and trying to honor our ancestors, learning the hardships they endured, and forming friendships of a lifetime.

The stock is probably the least of the worries when defarbing an Enfield. There are many parts that have to be changed that varied little in style from maker to maker, ie, slingswivels, barrelbands, backsights, lockbolts, eschutcheons, lockplate and hammer, not to mention the bolster is not shaped right on any repro. For every original stock you find that differs from the repros you can easily find one that is very close. And oringinal shaped top barrel bands are not made.

Question for you reenacters, what are you talking about a '61 hang fireing? mine has never failed me once in 15 yares of reenacting if the weapon is kept clean it will functions properly with either pyro of the bleesed black.

I just landed a .58 Zoli 1841 Mississippi here in Australia ... I actually bought it as a Zouave, but was delighted when I was told it was actually a good reproduction of a rifle that saw extensive service in both sides of the Civil War.

That said, I mainly plan to hunt with it, but if I did want to re-enact, it gives me a bit of versatility!

20066491052__MTB0017s.jpg

Latest posts

Back