• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which smoothbore for N.C.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another example of the Carolina gun be used by that name. Its from the store advertisement of George Wagner who owned a store at No. 85 Broad St. in Charleston, South Carolina. It was listed in the newspaper the 'City Gazette and Daily Advertiser' on Febuary 14, 1793. Mr. Brooks has done an outstanding job reconstructing these.

Carolinagunsad.jpg

So I guess I've got a unique fowler, since it's completely devoid of engraving! Maybe if I refine my persona I could be a Quaker ... they were know to eschew extraneous ornamentation ... didn't even use grave-markers. I suppose a Quaker could have ordered up a fowler without decoration. Best thing I can think of!

The oldest existing brick house in NC, the Newbold-White House, is just across the sound from Tyrrell County ... and that part of Perquimans was Quaker country. The owners of that house were colonial Quakers.
http://www.newboldwhitehouse.com/

Thanks for the info! I sure do want to soak up the greater knowledge available here.

I wish there were more folks around here into such things. Seems like most people are only interested in the extra week of deer season that muzzleloader season affords, if that!

Again, I appreciate any correction!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't sweat the fact that your gun has no decoration, I nor anyone else isn't liable to pick nits that closely. :wink:

"TG,
for the late 1600's could he be looking at a doglock/snaphance musket? "

It would be possible I am sure, but by the last quarter ot the 17th century the flintlock was pretty much the choice of most builders/buyers I would think

John Tice said:
Here is another example of the Carolina gun be used by that name. Its from the store advertisement of George Wagner who owned a store at No. 85 Broad St. in Charleston, South Carolina. It was listed in the newspaper the 'City Gazette and Daily Advertiser' on Febuary 14, 1793. Mr. Brooks has done an outstanding job reconstructing these.

[url]
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/Coonradt/[/url]
Carolinagunsad.jpg

John, thanks for that additional reference to the "Carolina"gun in 1793 in South Carolina.I think maybe we can assign the Type G term to its rightful place as archaeological terminology.Who knows maybe we can also bury the French Type C's and D's unless that's asking too much from reenactors and vendors.
Tom Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few late 17th/early 18th century English guns, just for reference. I really like the little ash-stocked, buttplate-less musketoon.
Eng1.jpg

Eng2.jpg

Eng3.jpg

Latest posts

Back