• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which T/C to get?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my t/c renegade in 54 cal. I would actually recommend the new englander, though. Bigger trigger guard for hunting with gloves on, no set trigger, and a lighter-weight and more compact rifle makes it easier to use in the field.

As a trap shooter, you know all about gun fit. Handle all three guns. They are all of the same quality. Go with handling and fit. Good luck.

roundball said:
Slamfire said:
"...I have to admit, I don't care much for the curved buttplates on Hawkens..."
It is interesting what we each see differently...to me the curved buttplate is the main 'signature' style element of a Hawken :grin:

I didn't mean esthetically, just thinkin' about shootin' the danged things makes my shoulder cringe. :v

The curved buttplate of the "typical" plains styled rifles is not intended to be shot from the shoulder as you would shoot a shotgun, but from the "crook" of the shoulder-upper arm joint with the toe of the buttplate positioned in the crease (the armpit). If you try to shoot one mounted from the shoulder as you would a shotgun (specifically a Lyman GPR in my experience) you will develop numerous and painful bruises near the collar bone. Been there, done that. Once you realize where the gun is to be properly mounted, they can be and are pleasures to shoot.

Watch yer topknot . . . Otter

been there done that too! and i couldn't agree more. my vote is for the hawken. gonna try and get a thanksgiving doe tomorrow with my tc hawken in .54. chopper

I have no experience with the Hawkin but have heard nothing but good reports from all that have them.I am also a Big T/C fan and own Both the Rrennegade(with the set triggers) and a New Englander.Both of these guns are 50 cal and have taken Deer with both.My only Gripe with the Rennegade is that I'm long armed and it seems the stock is too flat and has a little too short LOP to fit me.With stout Deer loads it's just plain uncomfortable to shoot.(Smucks Hell out of my Cheek Bone)
Also would the Stainless New Englander be a Grayhawk?

Mornin Halftail
I had the old style stock and got a crack in it, I sent it to T/C and they sent me the new style,, The new one is shorter and I did like the old, longer one, So I added an inch to the new one, It ain't pc, but neither am I,
A Fix

Halftail said:
I have no experience with the Hawkin but have heard nothing but good reports from all that have them.I am also a Big T/C fan and own Both the Rrennegade(with the set triggers) and a New Englander.Both of these guns are 50 cal and have taken Deer with both.My only Gripe with the Rennegade is that I'm long armed and it seems the stock is too flat and has a little too short LOP to fit me.With stout Deer loads it's just plain uncomfortable to shoot.(Smucks Hell out of my Cheek Bone)
Also would the Stainless New Englander be a Grayhawk?[/quote/]

I really don't know, it was stainless, he told me it was a New Englander, and I didn't look at the name. I was going through the steps of inspection, you know, pushing on the hammer when it is cocked to make sure the trigger sears aren't worn, checking all the exposed screws for signs of being stripped out and refinished, and looking over the wood. I was interrupted and had to leave. It has a satin oil finished walnut stock with light fiddleback bars from the rear end of the stock to about where the lock is. Would higher quality wood indicate a more deluxe model? Thanks

Hightekrednek said:
I'd like to buy all 3, but my mom says no :nono: (I'm 17, and she keeps telling me that I have enough guns, oh well, I'm not listening :yakyak:) ... My mom just doesn't understand a man's unending need for more firearms.

Justin:
I had the same dilemma at 17. Consider spending your time and money developing your shooting skills rather than accumulating guns. Looking back, I had far more time to shoot but less money. Now I have money for all the shooting I want, but no time.

Today was the second time this year I went to the range, and only because my 12 year old daughter's been badgering me all week to go.

Speaking of "wimmun", DON'T get yourself committed to someone that's hesitant or averse to your guns...introduce this side of your interests early on. I got lucky, as my Father In Law was a longtime hunter & country type as well. Now I've got a slender ex-clothing model that can shoot an AR-15 like a Marine. :grin:

I agree with PA Rifleman , get the one gun you like and learn to shoot it well . Even if you could afford all three , you would end up shooting the one you like best and the other two would become dust collectors . I would get the Hawken because it has a 28" barrel , the Renegade's barrel is 26" . I have a Renegade with a 26" barrel , and I could not get the accuarcy I desired from it . I think the extra 2" of barrel makes a difference (of course , this is just my opinion) . I now have a Green Mountian IBS .54 cal. , 1:70 twist roundball barrel on my Renegade stock , and it shoots great .

Back