• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which tanned leather for guns and knives.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttbush

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read somewhere in the past about which leather to use for knife sheaths and gun scabbards, but I forgot where it was. I read that the way some leathers are tanned can cause metal to rust on your knives and guns because of the chemicals involved. Can anyone familiar with this question help me. I would like to make some sheaths and a beaded scabbard for my smokepole but am unsure which kind to buy. Many thanks.
Gene

Never heard of leather rusting out metal unless it was wet. But I understand what your asking.

I'd go with vegatable tanned leather as opposed to chrome tanned. You can also tool veg tanned leather.

I'm pretty sure any leather (other than rawhide) can be used so long as its kept well oiled.

Hope this helps some....

Just an opinion.....

Alamosa The one that will rust your knife is called Lagito (Spelling) ,it is yellow loooking. It is real bad on carbon blades. Vegetable tan or oil tan should be ok. Dilly

That is "latigo", and is usually used for making laces. You don't want to use if for a sheath, or gun case. One:It is to heavy; Two: it does have dyes and acids that will corrode metal.

Oak tan is best for scabbards and sheaths. You can mold it around the knife or gun. Since this is done by moistening the leather, some folks have seen rusting if they don't protect the steel, but that's the moisture and not the tannic acid in the leather.
FYI, saddle soap can balance any acidity that might be present.
Rawhide is also very moldable. I've used it alone, or as a liner for brain tan sheaths.

Thanks for the replies fellas, That information does help. Like the Saddle Soap I read on the Ballistol info page that it also neutralizes acids, they recommend that you spray it on your battery cables in your car to keep corossion gone. Thought I might try that also.
Gene

How do, Alamosa. One caveat with the Ballistol on leather...it will soften it with heavy or continuous applications. I do use it on my knives and guns and the small amount I put on those items does not seem to harm the leather, but a couple friends learned the hard way that rubbing lots of it on (basically saturating the leather) will break down the fibers and make the hide "floppy".

When I wet mold a sheath or holster, I really slime down the gun or knife with Ballistol and then wrap it with Saran Wrap before putting it in the damp leather. It keeps the steel from getting wet and the plastic film is so thin it really doesn't add to the dimensions of the item.

I have found that if I really want my handmade leather products to be water resistant, I use a high quality carnauba wax made for that application. I apply at least a couple heavy coats to the inside of the sheath/ holster and a couple light ones to the outside (after doing any molding operations). Rain and snow literally bead up and roll off and it works great to keeping the leather from absorbing moisture. This will keep the gun or knife from getting rusty if it is left in the leather for extended periods of time.

:thumbsup:

I wet mold all my knife sheaths and I also make my own holsters for my pistols and revolvers and wet mold them too like Noah said. I take it one step further. I have one of those vacuum packers for meat and such. Food Saver. To get a real mould job, I waterproof the knife/gun, and then plastic wrap it and then put the wet leather around it making sure that it is all lined up. I then put a dry washrag around the outside of it and slip it in one of those plastic vacuum bags and suck it down. It sucks all the air out at amazing pressure. I leave it in for several hours, usually overnight and when I open it back up, the washrag has absorbed what moisture that wasnt vacuumed out, and you have an absolute mold of the knife or gun.

Bill

Yep, Oak Tanned is all I've every used and I've been makin' holsters for years. You can use olive oil to darken up the leather nicely.

Latest posts

Back