• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Lightnin' Touch Hole Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "White Lightning" vent liners all use the 32 thread pitch.
In the 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 size threads this 32 thread per inch pitch is a UNEF (Unified Extra Fine) thread that while not common does have standard taps available for it.
The easiest way to get a tap for it is to buy one from TOTW or Chambers.

As for the size of the liner, a 1/4" or a 5/16 inch can work because a 7/8" octagon has .362" wide flats.

If it were me, I would opt for the 1/4" size for several reasons.
First, the smaller size will allow for the liners vertical position to be moved to better align the vent with the top surface of the lock without getting too close to the edge of the side flat.

Second, the smaller size is less likely to interfere with the face of the breech plug when it is positioned at the center of the pan.

Go with a 1/4" one, as if you use the 5/16", every time you get to that point with the Jag it is going to go into the vent cone slightly & have a tendency to grab the patch. The 1/4" one do this less because the internal cone opening is smaller.
And as previously stated, the 1/4" one gives you a little more leeway if you cannot put it dead center & still keep the edge of the vent liner on the flat.

Keith Lisle

I have used all three sizes of White Lightnin' liners in rifles from 50 to 58 cal and I do not see any perceptible difference in ignition times with any of them. (I love them.) I now only use the 1/4" size since they are easier to position, install, and have the added benefit of going up a size if buggered during install...

Dave

I just ordered some 1/4x28 liners from Track O Wolf and they have the same inside cone shape and thin web as the White lightnin' but will screw right into a T/C rifle. So now one can have that benefit with a standard thread and screw driver slot for removal. I don't know if they offer that in the metric thread sizes, one could call and ask, but if so it would be a boon to the Lyman and Cabelas guns to have White lightnin' results without having to drill and tap for a larger liner.

longbow said:
1/4-32 or 5/16-32 for a 50 cal 7/8 barrel?
1/4" for anything.
I would also use a somewhat undersized tap drill to assure maximum thread depth.
.010" under maybe.
Dan

On a 7/8" bbl, I would use a 1/4". Presently building an early Lancaster w/ a "C" weight bbl that measures 1.090 across the flats and am using the 5/16" as I do on all my builds including "B" weight bbls that are 1.000 across the flats. Haven't had any problems w/ the patch catching because the WL doesn't reach the bore and the hole has a chamfer.....Fred

Latest posts

Back