• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White lightning replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the so-called accuracy change when a touch hole gets too big can be easily compensated for, just work up another load your rifle likes.

I have one rifle that has been through 3 owners, the guy who gave it to me said it had at least 50K shots through it since the early 70s. He said he had the liner changed out at Friendship a long time ago. I haven't measured the hole size but it is huge and will self-prime a pan full with 3F. I load it with a toothpick in the hole.

I worked up a load for the rifle when I got it 15 years ago, it is the most accurate rifle I own and is almost a ragged one-hole shooter at 50 yards, big touch hole and all.

I made a feeble attempt to remove the liner and replace it but found it is threaded into the breech plug, any attempt to remove it buggers up the screwdriver slot, the rifle shoots great so I left it as is.

View attachment 279875
Load adjustment might very well restore accuracy for a while at least but once the hole gets eroded out of round it most likely will keep changing shape and size.
I can't say for certain as I have never tried adjusting the charge once accuracy falls off from erosion.

I suspect the so-called accuracy change when a touch hole gets too big can be easily compensated for, just work up another load your rifle likes.

I have one rifle that has been through 3 owners, the guy who gave it to me said it had at least 50K shots through it since the early 70s. He said he had the liner changed out at Friendship a long time ago. I haven't measured the hole size but it is huge and will self-prime a pan full with 3F. I load it with a toothpick in the hole.

I worked up a load for the rifle when I got it 15 years ago, it is the most accurate rifle I own and is almost a ragged one-hole shooter at 50 yards, big touch hole and all.

I made a feeble attempt to remove the liner and replace it but found it is threaded into the breech plug, any attempt to remove it buggers up the screwdriver slot, the rifle shoots great so I left it as is.

View attachment 279875
I know you took that 50K number you were told with a grain of salt ! I doubt there ever was a muzzle loader in history with that round count down bore, even in the civil war.

You guys...... The guy who gave the rifle to me was beyond into B/P, he was obsessed, as was the guy who built it, a guy was named Art Vandervogle who booked hunts for famous people out of New York. Strangely, a friend and fellow bow maker ran into Art's son at one of the larger bow tournaments, the son talked about his father booking hunts. When my friend mentioned the guy's name, I told him I had one of his father's guns, small world, the guy never showed up again. We are all up there in age so the time line fits.

My friend owned the rifle for 30 years the last 10 or so his health was too poor to shoot much. He told me for many years he shot a pound of powder a week through the gun shooting a 30 gr load of 3F, he was a target puncher and only killed one deer with the rifle. He was at Friendship every year and belonged to an M/L club in Fl that was very active. At that time he was a master blacksmith and horse trainer at a race track in Fl.

I don't understand the snarky comments, I knew the guy, you snarky guys didn't.

When my friend had a tumor the size of a baseball sticking out of his neck, he called me to a modest house in Collinwood TN he had made out of a garage and gave me everything B/P related he had, all his guns and everything else related to shooting them. He had nothing but still thought enough of me to give me all his stuff.

This guy had had some bad knocks in life, a brilliant man; he punched out a captain in the Navy and got a dishonorable discharge, this set the stage for a life time of challenges. I only found this out after he died, when I mentioned his service, he said "we don't talk about that". After he died, his girlfriend told me his dad was an admiral and never spoke to him again after the incident.

He was kicked in the face by a horse and badly injured, he didn't have health insurance and tried to ride it out, things went bad for him. The race track fired him rather than pay his medical bills, he had a heart attack, his jaw became abscessed. With nowhere to go he moved into a garage on his father-in-law's land and tried to make a go of it.

When I met him, he had been working for years running a debarking machine at a huge sawmill, the vibration of the machine killed the nerves in his feet, he had neuropathy on a level that made walking extremely painful for him but he never stopped.

I shot archery tournaments with him for 20 years, he had once been the best of the best where he grew up in California, he thrived on competition. In the later years he would stagger to the next target stake and sit on a folding chair, I would take care of any arrow retrieval for him, he couldn't make it to the target, I did that for the last 5 years of his life at tournaments all over the south east. When we met up, he always had a smile from ear to ear and said " I love this, with your help I am going to shoot until I can't take another step", and he did.

His nickname was "Biff", his real name was Ralph Moore, some of you may have met him at Friendship.

This is the last time I saw him alive; he met me at a tournament at Enid MS, he was finally too weak to walk, the cancer had consumed him. He loved the crawdad cook the archery club put on at the tournament and met me one last time, I served him plate after plate until he could eat no more.

You knuckle draggers might call BS on this man but I wouldn't think of it, I knew him too well. He was the toughest mentally and physically person I ever knew, nothing stopped him.

He died a week or so after I took this picture of him eating mud bugs.

biff.JPG

He was an amazing craftsman, he made the horns and bags he gave me.

bags and horns 001.JPG

More of his work;

scrimshawed horns and bag.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back