• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Mountain Carbine and REALS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just shot my WMC with the Lee REALS and I am thrilled to say the least. a little background I bought this rifle new years ago and have shot 9 deer with it, always with a sabot and 70 grains of pyrodex . I bought a Lee mold, the 250 grain model, made up a bunch of bullets with soft lead and lubed them twice with Lee Alox. Today I shot them with 70 grains of Pyrodex and they are very accurate, easy to loads and leave a clean bore, plus I can make all i will ever use in an hour. My WMC is a late model as it has the QLA barrel so im not sure of the twist but if anyone questions these bullets, try them. I will next try them in another New Englanded when I get done getting the stock refinished. Now to find a peep sight for my WMC!

technically any muzzle loading bullet that is slightly oversize, is a REAL bullet.
Lee just grabbed onto the acronym.
I wouldn't suggest using the standard ALOX
I would get the one made for Black Powder.
Standard pure ALOX is petroleum based and can cause
a harder fouling to develop.
Actually beeswax and lard mixed to your favorite ratio works just fine. all natural.
I used to do the Lee 360 real but lost the mould and just do 320's now.
But that mould has warped.
so now doing the Lyman maxi ball 370 gr.
Good quality steel mould, not likely it will warp.

I started using the 360 reals back in the late 1970's actually prefer them to the round ball and my rifle likes them.

The 320 grn Lee REALs do quite well in my Lyman Deerstalker (1:48" twist). I had been using a 70 grn charge of 3F Olde Eynsford with .490" PRB's and just tried the same load for the REAL. It took a felt wad to get them to fly right, but they were nearly touching at 50 yds.

I bought a used 250 grn mold to try out too, but haven't yet.

Did you use a wad under the REAL?

I have two rifles that shoot them well but one requires a felt wad to be accurate .. just an idiosyncrasy, I guess.

Back