• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Mountain carbine load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diana

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a TC White Mountain carbine with a 1-20 twist. I want to shoot conical bullets in it. What are some of your favorite loads for this rifle?

Mine did its best with the big ole Hornady Great Plains conical and 60-70gr....i used 2f substitute powder but real black may have been even better.

For plinking, fun and smaller game it liked a round ball and 40-50gr 2f.

I was always wary of higher charges with the conicals as many of the WMC's didn't have the screw through the tang and were prone to cracking the wood around the grip. Plus with such a light gun they were uncomfortable to shoot.

The one I used to have would not shoot the TC maxihunter conical bullets well, at least the 355 grain style. What it would shoot very satisfactory were the Lee REAL bullets that weighed about 320 grains.

I never got my 1/20 twist(not WM) to shoot as good as i wanted so replaced the barrel with a 1/32 twist.I did some research and found that to get good acccuracy with that twist 1/20 you needed a bullet well over and inch long and a real good nipple,i didn't want to deal with that and the high pressures. The 1/32 shoots real well but have stopped shooting it now until i have time to exp with paper patching bullets.

I shot a couple deer with the WMC, but it's been a long time ago. I can't remember the charge, but I used the Maxi-Ball. It kicked so hard, that the stock split, but TC replaced it. One of the deer was a big eight pointer, and he hit the ground before the smoke cleared. It's a handy little rifle, but hits hard on both ends.

I always used 3f. Probably 60 - 65 grains. Been quite a while. Interestingly, that short barrel chronographed just about the same as my Renegade did when using the same loads.

Thanks C I am thinking along the same lines as you with the amount of powder you used. A fifty cal roundball with 50 grains of powder will shoot clear through a deer inside 50 yards.

I have had good luck with buffalo bullets in fast twist barrels. A 50 385gr shot well with 70-90gr FFg.

Back