• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

white mountain carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i've got one of these carbines and i'm not sure of the twist. i know there's a way to find out but i don't know it. the serial number is 63012. if that's any help

Robert an saa fan said:
Rate of twist = 1:20

Per The Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual by Sam Fadala, Revised Edition.
The later White Mountain Carbines have a 1 in 38" twist, if it is a .50 caliber. I looked at T/C catalog # 20, from 1993, and it shows a 1 in 20" twist, for a .50. Both T/C catalogs, #21, and 22, 1994, and 1995, show a 1 in 38" twist for a .50. The .54 calibers have a 1 in 48" twist, as do the .45's.

did the serial number i gave on my post show that mine is a 1:38 twist? and if it is would my lee R.E.A.L. bullets work better if they were cast from pure lead? the ones my buddy had cast that didn't shoot worth manure were cast from some pretty hard lead. the mystery is beggining to be answered. by the way i can't say what year this carbine was made.

:hmm:

Just put a jag with a tight patch down the bore on your ramrod. Mark the ramrod at the top of the barrel at the muzzle. Now slowly pull the ramrod back out. The rifling will turn the ramrod as it comes out. When you get to 1/4 turn, measure how far out you pulled it and multiply by 4. Or pull it out 1/2 turn and multiply by 2. Then you'll know your twist for sure. :thumbsup:

They should be cast from pure lead. At 1 in 32 they should shoot very well they are spot on for that twist rate with an optimal velocity around of 1200 fps. They should be snug in the bore that is push in the muzzle with a good press of your thumb and ride down the bore with smooth resistance. If your rifle is 1 in 20 then they will probaly ride over the rilfling and refuse to stabalize. Cabelas new shooters catalog has a 50 cal. black powder cartrage bullet 450 Grain Flat Nose .510" dia. by Montana Precision Swaging 19.99 for fifty pre-lubed that would probably be deadly in a 1 in 20 twist.

Bob

You need to call T/C and ask them were your ser# falls for a twist rate. I bought mine in 89' and it had a 4 digit ser# starting with a 4, have no idea how many they produced in a year or if they still made 1-20 twist up till 93' how many was made before the switch.

T/C reccomends in thier instruction manual that projectiles be cast from pure lead. Antimonys are harder, and lighter than pure lead. Also projectiles cast from antimonys, could be oversize, due to less shrinkage, than pure lead. this is from the T/C manual. jethro224 is correct in determining your twist rate. I have done this to several WMC's that I have owned, to determine the twist rate. Good luck!

i did it last night just the way he said. it went about a 1/2 turn past a full turn. i have the 21" barrel. is it safe to assume i have a 1:20 twist?

That does not sound correct. Hre's the way I've done it. Put a tight fitting patch on a jag, on your ramrod. Push the ramrod in all the way. Now at the muzzle, take a piece of masking tape, and wrap it around the ramrod, right at the muzzle. Now take a pencil, and make a line that is in line with the front sight. Make this mark lengthwise on the tape. Now slowly withdraw the ramrod, allowing it to spin. Watch the mark on your tape. When you have gone 1/4 of the way around the muzzle, measure the distance from the front of your mark, to the muzzle. Multiply this by four, and this will give you your twist rate. I have used a threaded tee handle loosely screwed into the end of my ramrod to allow the ramrod to spin easier, but if you keep the ramrod loosely in your fingers when withdrawing it, you should be O.K.

ok. i just got through doing it again. i used two patches so it would be very snug. my rod has thresded end on it and at 1/4 turn the measurement was right at 5". i guess i got the 1:20 twist, huh? dern my luck ! i was really hoping for a slower twist.

Hate to use the S-word, cuz so many here take offense. But, navaman, it appears you've got a Sabot shooter.

Try some 240 or 300gr. .44 cal. Hornady XTPs in a T/C or Hornady sabot. You might be surprised how accurate that thing is. It's got the twist for it.

Just don't go overboard with the powder charge. 70 to 80gr. ffg or RS ought to be fine for starters. T/C all-lead Cheap Shots are good too; but the green Hornady sabots seem to work best with modest powder charges.

Don't get mad, get sabots.
Bob

Don't give up on conicals yet. Try a T/C Maxi-Ball. Like short start said, try 70 grains FFG as a starting charge. Use a Bore Button, or Wonder Wad, (same thing) over the powder charge, before loading your projectile. T/C reccomends the use of one of these "Bore Buttons" in fast twist barrels to increase accuracy, when shooting conicals. Another option is to contact the T/C Custom Shop, at Fox Ridge Outfitters. They sell a 1 in 48" twist barrel, that is 21" long, 15/16" across the flats that should drop right in your WMC. F.R.O. 1-800-243-4570.

I have had good acuracy with my WMC using 80 grains of Goex FFF and a 295 Gr Powerbelt. Being a carbine I feel its probably not as accurate at longer distances as say a longer barreled Rifle like a Hawken etc.

:winking: landngroove you are exactly righton about the load you suggested,I have practically same gun but in a traditions 50cal. 1-20twist 21"barrel, I'm now shootin 1/2" groups at 40yds compared to 10" with 385grn.GPBullets 777 fff. haven't got to shoot at longer distance yet.my best with 777 fff with same procedure of loading was 1 3/4" group.

Latest posts

Back