• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White Mtn Carbine and Lee Reals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a nice 50 caliber percussion TC White Mountain Carbine and it has a QLA barrel. I think it is 1-38 twist but not sure. Shoots sabots real well but I really want to try the Lee REAL bullet and cast them myself. Will they work? What would be a good load? Does anyone use these in a WMC? Thanks, Craig

FWIW I use the Hornady 385-grn minis that are something like the Lees, less smaller and more numerous driving bands. Out of my flint 50-cal over 75-grns of 3F, I'll get 1-ragged hole groups for 3-shots at 25-yards.

Note I haven't shot it any farther yet ....just picked it up for this Winter's PA late season flintlock-only hunt.

i tried them last summer in my .50 wmc it has a 1:20 barrel. i used 70gr ffg goex and with and without a wad. best i could get off the bench at 45 yards was a 3 inch group and that goes for the t/c maxi balls and hunters i tried. next spring i'm going to try it again with fffg powder and some different lubes so it might be a lot better. i sure would like to find a bullet that works as good as the ones we dont speak about on this site. these wmc are sure a nice little rifle to carry and to use out of a tree stand.

Had a bad experience with REEL slugs,,,,could have been worse ,, My barrel had a rough spot near the muzzle and after I loaded the REEL it was loose and slid up the barrel off the powder,,winter hunting at the time so the cold might have caused the lead to shrink some ?? my brother ask what that was sticking out of my muzzle it was the REEL.havn't used anything but PRB ever sence...if the barrel isn't the same size all the way down it the groves could let the slug move off the powder ,,

personally I'm not aware of a 1:38.
But that would be considered a fast twist designed for conicals.
A common middle of the road twist is 1:48.
So yours should work just fine.

BTW REAL by Lee, is just a marketing gimmick.
Any conical that is loaded in that manner will have the same effect.
Rifling Engraved At Loading.
I have a bunch of .50 cal Lee Reals cast up.
320 grain.
Pm me if interested.

I got some (320 grn) from cc there for my 1:48 Lyman .50 cal Deerstalker and tried them mostly just to see what recoil would be like from my 7.5 lb rifle (nothing much with the recoil pad they come with). I tried them with the 70 grn 3F powder charge of Olde Eynsford I use with PRB's and found the first was maybe a foot left and a few inches low at 50 yds. I happened to have wads and recalled it may help so I tried 2 more which were just under bull and virtually touching.

Needless to say I bought a mold.

I say contact cc above and try a few.

I used to hunt with a WMC. That was a long time ago. I can't remember the twist, but pretty sure it was not 1:48. I used the Maxi-Ball and shot a few deer with it. I switched to a TC Hawken with round ball and used it for club matches and hunting. A friend of mine had a Renegade and shot the REAL bullets. Sometimes he'd win the match, but most of the time, I beat him. I believe that the WMC, was made to shoot Maxi-Balls, and the 1:48 barrels worked better with PRB or Lee REAL's.

I think the White MTN Carbine was first made with a 1/20 twist then changed to 1/38 ,the REAL 320grn may shoot ok in the 1/38 just have to try it.Try 70 to 80 grns 2f maybe even a good wad between powder and bullet.

I had a T/C unmentionable with the same fast twist as the White Mountain Carbine. it shot r.e.a.l. bullets & maxi-balls with very good accuracy.

I had a fast twist Lyman Great Plains Hunter barrel and it was extremely accurate shooting the 220 grain REAL bullets pushed by 95 grains of 3f Goex. Best accuracy was only achieved by adding a lubed fiber wad as well, but recoil was brutal and it just wasn't pleasant to shoot. At 75 yards it would clover leaf as long as your shoulder held out.

Back