• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitetail hunting tips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silly goose said:
I don't use any attractants,and for scent control, I use the wind, its been working for a long, long time.

I'm with you on this. Scent control doesn't get any better than not having any cuz the wind is in your face. I used to hunt with a guy had a very very old and faded camo outfit that was washed so much it was almost like a white panama suit, but yet he was almost always successful in his hunting.

Tricks to the trade of successful hunters I know are wind, skyline, shadows, and dress. I'm not convinced that camo does as much as we think it does either. I've been caught out in the open with blaze orange and had deer pass me by... I know local schools and all, but I kept still and they marched right by me.

I'm sure taking a bath before hunting and keeping your hunting duds away from smells in plastic doesn't hurt either.

:grin:

Well, they can say what they want about certain scents, and I was a naysayer till recently too.
I set up a trail cam on my front lawn where there is an active scrape for 3 weeks. I usually have a buck or two checking out the rub per night.
The other night I put a few drops of Tinks 69 on their branch and scrape.
I had 14 deer come in that night and seven were bucks!
Granted these deer are nocturnal and 25 feet from my door.
Cool experiment anyways...guess that stinky stuff works.

PRMS0021_1Copying.jpg

PRMS0022Copying.jpg

Now try the opposite.Hang a shirt that was worn there about a day and see what happens.
We have left gas cans and chain oil in the woods and deer come right up to it.

If you want to spook deer light up a cigarette. It seems to me; from what I have observered, they are much more afraid of the cigarette smell if it's lighted and not so much so if it's not.

I have had them jump up out of thier beds under my stand when lit but lay back down if I put it out. I don't smoke at all anymore so it's not an issue. When lit they can smell it a long way away.

It depends on where you hunt deer whether they will panic when they see or smell smoke. I used to believe that any smoke would spook deer. However, a good hunting buddy of mine called me at work one October day after he left the woods where he was deer hunting with his bow. He was sitting on a stool, next to a small trail that cut through some tall bushes to his back, while watching the intersection of two active deer trails some 10- yards in front of him. He decided to smoke a cigarette, as Nothing was moving, nor where there any alarm calls from the birds and squirrels in the woods. He took a draw on his cigarette, holding it in is left hand, and put his hand down on his left knee with the cigarette, smoke curling upward in the still air.

All of a sudden, something pushed his left shoulder, and he turned his head to see what( or who) it was. What he saw was a 5 pt. buck pushing through that gap in the bushes behind him, pushing one of the branches into his left shoulder. That buck- 1 1/2 years old, walked right4 past him, and within inches of that smoke curling up from his cigarette. When he got to the deer trails, he turned and managed to put a tree between him and my buddy, and kept that tree and others between himself and Don until he was out of sight.

Now, this occurred on a farm in Southern Champaign County, Illinois, near the border with Douglass County. This is Row-Crop farming country, and you can hear combines working the fields miles away. Burn piles are the norm, and farmers tend to burn their burnable garbage, and brush too, on a regular basis. Smoke is simply not that unusual an event to the deer living here. In fact, I have other friends who have burned brush they piled up, only to turn around and find deer standing around at the edge of the
woods watching the brush burn.

That is not the case, I suspect, in the Deep woods of the NE, nor in much of the country in the West, where smoke means fire, which is always associated with danger.

I, too, used to preach my " No smoking " rule to students in my Hunter safety classes, but have since changed that tune to reflect my own observations, and these stories from friends. Don was another Hunter Safety Instructor who taught with me, and we discussed that deer pushing past him for many weeks, as both of us believed, as you do, that smoke will drive deer away. That deer had to smell and see the smoke from Don's cigarette as soon as he pushed his head between those bushes. He could just as easily backed up, gone down about 50 feet to another gap, and been on his way where Don would have not had any kind of shot.

I still think that " no smoking " is a good General rule, but I am not sure all whitetail deer have been taught that lesson, now. :rotf: :grin: :grin: :v

Latest posts

Back