• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who HAS NEVER double balled?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never double-balled(yet). Dry-balled years ago when I first got into the sport.
Have stood beside people when they fired two balls, no balls, no powder or ball, ramrod left in and fired downrange, cleaning jag fired downrange ahead of ball, and one shooter whose nipple blew out and went up thru the brim of his hat! :shocked2:

My eyes fooled me at the range the other day and it could have been tragic. I used a brass range rod with a muzzle protector for loading. This was my first time out with this gun as discussed in my range report on the smoothbore category. Before I started firing, I inserted the rod and marked the unloaded position with tape. After the third shot, so much crud built up at the breach that it covered the touchholeand caused a blockage that prevented the next round from firing. So I attached the ball puller and started to pull the ball. When the ram rod reached the bottom, I would swear it was at a point that indicated a ball only with no powder load. So the guy at the next bench offered to help and he grabbed the rod and pulled it the rest of the way out. When I tipped the barrel down to make sure there was no powder, a full charge came out. I don't know how that happened but I'll never let another person help me with that operation again. My only explanation is that the lower, tapered end of the muzzle protector was resting on the muzzle without being fully inserted and I was not taking my time.

To prevent this type of incident from occuring again, I took a small block of hardwood about 1.5 inches wide and 6 inches long and drilled a hole large enough for the ram rod to fit through. I can insert the rod through the block and hook or wedge the block on something. Then pull the ball without exposing myself or another to the muzzle.

Lesson learned. And I have dryballed once before.

HistoryBuff

I have put a double load in the same barrel of a side X side 10 ga. Fortunately I noticed the mistake before firing - I believe the kick on that one would have broken both my shoulder and the gun.

Roundball Heres how I did it. WE was having a shoting match,loaded gun after shot,someone wanted to check their target ,went looked at targets came back loaded again,Bingo, ramrod got too short. Dilly Only once

Would dry balling then putting in a charge and ball be considered double balling? :redface:

Good description of your hunting. I have also walked a white tail buck out of grassy willows. Knew he was there, had to hunt him like a pheasant. When he did jump, it was at about 10 feet and although I brought my .257 up to waist level with the safety off to shoot, I had not seen antlers (all I saw was his rump, he was disappearing through the grass that fast) and so didn't shoot. I remember that hunt fondly, am still proud of my reflexes. But, that was 40 years ago....

Does double loading count and the last ball only short started? :confused: I don't recomend it as I blew my flint Hawkenhiemmmer gun into little pieces. :nono:
I always check my load now with the ramrod if there's been any delay from when I loaded to when it's my turn to shoot. I did this back when I was in my 20's, when I still had a good memory. Now it's hard to remember my name..... :shake:

I think its a lot easier to dry ball than it is to double ball. Dun the former, not the latter.

Its even easier to short start and then shoot without ramming down the ball. Dun that more den once.

Regards, sse

Mike Brooks said:
"...when I still had a good memory. Now it's hard to remember my name..... :shake:

I understand...and have lesarned not to trust what I thought the condition was.
Now if I get interrupted (wind blows stuff off the table, whatever) I will not proceed until I force myself to slide the ramrod back in and let the 'witness marks' tell me the status before I prime and shoot.
And since I don't use a powder horn, I added another discipline last year where I pick out one set of componets and lay them in front of me beside the rilfe I'm about to load:

1-powder charge (35mm canister)
1-wad (if using wads)
1-patch
1-ball

33 years of BP shooting and I've never double balled... :hmm:

While I did dry ball a few times as a greenhorn years ago, I too learned the "mark yer rod" trick back in the 1970's with my wooden rammers, my steel musket ones are unmarked, but are short enough for me to tell when the weapon is hot vs unloaded, etc.

Cheers,

DT

Does shot count, each #6 shot is a little ball, so that would be 200+ balls each shot thereabouts... :haha:

Never double balled, I no-balled before, (not trying to shoot a blank either) I plum forgot to put a ball in, it was still in my loading block...

Made for a nice smoke cloud in the direction of the deer... :rotf:

How about triple loaded??!! No, it wasn't me! But about a year and a half ago, while at an area Rondy, a member of our club was shooting the long range event with a flint. He thought the load fired but after some failed attempts to fire a charge, he decided to pull the ball. Several of us stood there and watched him pull out not one, not two, but THREE balls! From that day forward, he is now known as "Three Ball Jack." :winking:

TexiKan

never double balled, never seen a naked woman, never cursed, never "inhaled", . What kind of a question is that?

Back