• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who has to wear blaze orange?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelSnavely

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in ND we have to wear blaze orange during ML season even though we can't have scopes on our rifles and have to use iron sights. That seems strange to me, since in WA a few years back BO wasn't required (don't know about now).

I'm wondering what the laws are for other states.

I would really like to be able to hunt deer in PC garb. and I know some are lucky enough to be able to.

What are the laws in your state?

In CO, our regs state that when hunting big game with a rifle, BO must be worn. So, that automatically takes in the ml hunters. We hunt at the same time as bow hunters who are not in BO and usually in camo.

This bow hunters complain about this but the motive is to try to eliminate ml hunters from hunting during the bow season. They wring their hands about their safety, but ignore the fact that bow hunters have accidently shot and killed three other hunters in CO while ml has killed one bow hunter. That bow hunter was the ml guys hunting partner and he managed to shoot him about one hour before sun rise. :shocked2: The local sherrif investigated it as a possible intentional homicide. Don't know how it ended up.

Lots of the ml re-enactors would like to be able to hunt without BO for aesthetic reasons. I don't have any concern over it and hunt with a bow without BO and with an ml with BO. Often the same day.

There is lots of argument over what deer see and how they see BO. I've had deer walk so close to me while sitting in the wide open in BO they were literally almost stepping on my toes.

We have to wear 200 sq inches on the head for muzzloader season and 500 sq inches which is head and chest during shotgun season here.

marmotslayer said:
In CO, our regs state that when hunting big game with a rifle, BO must be worn. So, that automatically takes in the ml hunters. We hunt at the same time as bow hunters who are not in BO and usually in camo.

This bow hunters complain about this but the motive is to try to eliminate ml hunters from hunting during the bow season. They wring their hands about their safety, but ignore the fact that bow hunters have accidently shot and killed three other hunters in CO while ml has killed one bow hunter. That bow hunter was the ml guys hunting partner and he managed to shoot him about one hour before sun rise. :shocked2: The local sherrif investigated it as a possible intentional homicide. Don't know how it ended up.

Lots of the ml re-enactors would like to be able to hunt without BO for aesthetic reasons. I don't have any concern over it and hunt with a bow without BO and with an ml with BO. Often the same day.

There is lots of argument over what deer see and how they see BO. I've had deer walk so close to me while sitting in the wide open in BO they were literally almost stepping on my toes.

I'm just looking for the feeling of hunting without BO and in PC clothing. I get that feeling in the Spring and late Fall when I go rabbit hunting with my .36 in my PC clothes. Even if I don't see anything that day, it was a GREAT day, because I got to "hunt" like my g.g.g. grandpa probably did, dressed as he may have dressed.

Here in ND, our bow season goes from Sept.- Jan.. When rifle season is on, "everyone" has to wear BO, even bow hunters. The same goes for ML season. We have to have 400 inches over the chest with BO head gear.

:hmm: my feeling.....having seen what I have.. :shocked2: that if it is a law, that you must wear BO it should apply to ALL who go in the woods..hunters hikers 4 wheelers skiers..etc...the thought of "it ain't orange ..shoot it!" scares me as much as "it sounded like a deer" :idunno:

Thats the law here. Anyone in the woods during those seasons, hunting or not has to wear orange. Its amazing how many non-hunters don't know that fact.

Not required here in Va during ML season but is required during the regular deer season regardless what one hunts with.

Here in IL anyone in the field during firearm deer season must wear a hat or cap and an upper body garment displaying at least 400 square inches of a solid blaze orange material visible from all sides. Bowhunters are allowed to hunt during the ML-only season and early youth season but must wear the orange too.
Here's how I get as close to PC as I can while complying with the law;
HPIM1674.jpg

I spotted a guy yesterday only by his face and camo hat that was a lighter pattern than his jumpsuit. He was sitting against a hemlock and boy, was he well hid except for those. Proud of myself I eyeballed him at 100 yards on that alone (and I don't think he saw me in my orange hat and vest - at least never gave an indication).

NY does not require it, but they should. It is amazing how much difference it makes.

I always wear a vest at least. I just got a blaze camo one, but here's a solid. If I plan on still-hunting I also wear a blaze hat.

Stumpy.jpg

Spot the Stumpy!
HPIM2700.jpg

In Mich. you must wear orange for ML deer. No specific amount of orange, but must be able to see orange 360 degrees. Trousers aren't enough orange. Camo orange is OK if there is more than 50% orange in combo with other colors. Modern gun hunters go by same rules. During ML season is also bow season.Bow hunters can wear camo.

marmotslayer said:
Spot the Stumpy!

I seeeeee youuu! :)

Colorado specifically does not allow camo'd BO to be used in meeting the BO requirement. Not sure why.

Same here, it must be solid orange no camo orange. Also bow hunters must wear it to and from their stands but can take it off once at their stands.

Jethro224 said:
Here in IL anyone in the field during firearm deer season must wear a hat or cap and an upper body garment displaying at least 400 square inches of a solid blaze orange material visible from all sides. Bowhunters are allowed to hunt during the ML-only season and early youth season but must wear the orange too.
Here's how I get as close to PC as I can while complying with the law;
HPIM1674.jpg

I love this idea!!!

I'm in the process now of making myself a hemp frock. I can just make an extra detachable cape for it.

Thanks!

In Kansas:
Blaze orange for BP or Rifle hunting but not for Bow hunting. GO figure. I almost shot a bow hunter out of a tree while phesant hunting. If it wasn't for the look at your backgrown training I had in one of the Six hunter Safety classes I took I might have bagged me a bow hunter. I did tell him he was darn lucky and should were blaze orange. He then proceded to cuss me out and told me to get the ***k out of his face.

How's the hunting in crosby? I live west of Cavalier and the hunting stinks, as bad as I have seen it.This is the first year I can sit in the stand and not have even one deer come in, just horrible. The blaze orange seems a bit over kill to me for ml season as hardly anyone hunts here after rifle season. But during rifle season it is a must here so you can see all the people hunting your posted land without permission LOL.

Back