• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Hunts Reg Seasons With Their Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goal over the last several years is to be flintlock only but I gotta put meat in the freezer. So between work and hunting success, will honestly say it hasn't always worked out that way. I do hunt our muzzleloader seasons with Flintlock only though.

More so over the past few years, but not exclusively. I have a couple stands where max 50 yard shots present, but if I am in one of my stands with expected longer shots likely my unmentionable. Or...if it is just too wet. I love to hunt the slop.

Years ago in NJ you could only use buckshot. I started hunting with muzzleloader around then when they started allowing it and have always hunted deer with a muzzleloader in all seasons it was allowed.

Last edited:
Just curious who hunts traditional during the “regular”season and thoughts? I have for many years and can’t say I’ve felt handi-capped. I do tend to hunt quite remote areas where I rarely see anyone. Not sure how I’d feel about it with heavy hunting pressure? I’ll say I could care less if I actually do succeed at this point in life, but, I do hunt hard and am not shy to shoot if opportunity presents itself. All in all it’s a great feeling to be out in the boonies with one good shot at the ready and that sweet looking piece of WOOD on my lap. Thoughts or comments?
You said it all right there, totally agree👍

Our muzzleloader season transsitons to modern firearms in November. Since 2010 I found it easier to continue hunting the remaining deer season with my muzzleloader.
Probably it started out as being too busy/ lazy to get my modern rifle zeroed in before season, but later it was a challenge ( that my hunting buddies rode me about). What I found was it made me slow down and try for closer,better shots. My success numbers actually increased and tagging out wasn't uncommon.

Just curious who hunts traditional during the “regular”season and thoughts? I have for many years and can’t say I’ve felt handi-capped. I do tend to hunt quite remote areas where I rarely see anyone. Not sure how I’d feel about it with heavy hunting pressure? I’ll say I could care less if I actually do succeed at this point in life, but, I do hunt hard and am not shy to shoot if opportunity presents itself. All in all it’s a great feeling to be out in the boonies with one good shot at the ready and that sweet looking piece of WOOD on my lap. Thoughts or comments?

What is this "regular season" of which you speak? For me deer is "open" or it's not. My .54 Cabin Creek brand rifle has put more venison on my table than most of my friends with their new fangled "all weather" rifles.

CONNERY SPEAKS A.jpg

LD

Last edited:
Although I have the pre-requisite 30-06 with a 3X9 scope, for hunting in Pa. I really much prefer taking my smoothbore flint with me anytime I go out. There’s just something unique about taking a flintlock out under the trees.

I primarily used a traditional ML from 1986 to 2000 When I lived in a State that was a shotgun or ML for deer season then I moved to a State that allowed the use of unmentionable's but I still used ML during the special ML season. In the last few years I have been going back to ML and have been using a flintlock. As I have several unmentionable's I for see myself using them again but my hunting location is very dense and shot's are close so it's ideal for ML hunting.

Although I have the pre-requisite 30-06 with a 3X9 scope, for hunting in Pa. I really much prefer taking my smoothbore flint with me anytime I go out. There’s just something unique about taking a flintlock out under the trees.
I think there is a deeper connection with a flintlock, much like hunting squirrels with a small-bore .32 cap lock. I think you find yourself listening more, being slower, paying more attention when you hunt with a 'lesser' weapon that can't lay a bullet into a quarter at 200 yards. You know you need to be more aware, stealthy and get closer. I liken it to hunting squirrels, I have always been told from my grandfather to my dad that if you can be a good squirrel hunter, you can be a decent deer hunter. I believe that applies to flint to center fire as well. If you can master one, it will make you that much better at the other. They should be complimentary skills, not adversaries.

Back