• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who likes heavy rifles for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a 45 caliber with a ~42", 1" across the flats barrel. Needless to say, she's a heavy rifle. I would guess ~11 pounds. It has proven to be a tack driver with its Bill Large barrel.

What do you say about hunting with rifles weighing this much? I am speaking of Midwestern deer and squirrel chasing mostly (not climbing mountains to kill sheep). Anybody favor or despise hunting with a heavy rifle? Please weigh in (excuse the pun :rotf: ) with your thoughts!

Some love the big rifles, but I wouldn't touch a rifle over 8 lbs. My Lyman Trade rifle is 8 lbs and so is my modern scoped rifle.

I like a solid feel to a rifle. But light not heavy. Hunting I don't care how bad it kicks. Larry Wv

I like a heavy barreled Flintlock as most of my hunting is essentially from stands and/or with "some" short still hunting thrown in.
All my 33" barreled Hawkens weigh around 8.5-9lbs, and the Early Virginia is 9.5lbs...(yet it seems lighter with its longer swamped barrel).
The extra weight seems to hold on target better for me, and helps my follow-through when swinging on a moving target like doves, crows, clay targets, etc.
The day will probably come when weight becomes burdensome but until then I like around 9 lbs.

I'm in central Pa. so I got the mountains to run around on,I'd prefer a lighter rifle for that reason.Plus the fact it's so dang rocky in places, throw in a touch of snow or rain and... less is more. :wink:

My favorite hunters are 9-10 lbs, I like the steady feel they have. I tried playing with light weight rifles a few times, and felt I had a better chance using a handgun... Mmm oh ya, my handguns outshot my light weight rifles... so the light weights went by-by...

I don't mind it so much. My Lyman GPR has a .457 bore (custom) so there's a lot of metal around it! It makes for a heavy rifle. It spends a lot of time slung! But, it holds really steady...until my arm begins to shake.

Dan

I've got four 58 cals ranging from around 8 pounds to right at 12 pounds. The heavy one is an incredible range gun and would be my first choice if I hunted from stands and made longish shots. The light one is kind of a joke for range shooting, but incredible for shooting quick.

I move rather than sit on my hunts though, and the country is rougher and brushier than most people can imagine. Guess which rifle goes hunting and which is back home waiting for the next trip to the range?

I am only 5'8" tall and 180 lbs. so a shorter and lighter weight rifle is what I prefer. Mine are 6.5 to 7.5 lbs depending on barrel length. As you know the shorter lighter rifles are nice to carry but shooting at the longer ranges offhand is more difficult; a 28" long 7.5 lb. rifle is a good comprimise for woods hunting here in PA. I think of my 24" .50 cal. gun as a pistol more than a rifle but hits just fine at 100 yards from a rest and is deadly quick offhand to 75 yards or so.

I like mine a little heavy. But I'm also hunting from blinds and stands. When I've still hunted I've gone to a lighter gun.

My .58 is a TVM Virginia with a straight octagon 36" GM barrel. It weighs in at just shy of 9 lbs. Any heavier than that for me, and I wouldn't be taking it out in to the field. It's great for shots taken while kneeling or sitting. Not so heavy I can't carry it all day. However, shooting offhand is something else. I start getting fatigued after about a 5-6 sec hold and that barrel starts wandering more than ususal.

I see no glory in carrying dead weight around in the woods....Although I dont do participate I DO understand a "heavy barreled bench gun" but for hunting (for ME thats deer and elk) as long as the gun is accurate enough for the given environment then the lighter the better. Ive NEVER actually weighed it but I am happy enough with the weight and dimensions of Lyman GPR give or take.

I like a light rifle for still-hunting and the occasional fast/running shot. I like a heavy rifle for the long, deliberately aimed from a steady rest shots.

Trouble is, on any day either may present itself so I have to use what I have at the time.

My 27" bbl. 6-3/4 lb. .50 New Englander is a pleasure to hike with and is fast off-hand in a brushy rose/dogwood thicket and my 44" bbl. 9 lb .54 Lehigh is great from a sitting rest or laid over a log in a mature hemlock grove.

But I work with what I've got when any shot presents itself. ;-)

I have a Landcaster at 9.5 pounds the swamped barrel makes it feel lighter. But 5 years ago I had a TVM Early Virginia with a 36" half round barrel made for my deer rifle. :thumbsup: The difference walking all day is unreal. I have come over to the light side.

Dusty Bob said:
Ifn I got ta cary it, it will be on the lite side! :cursing:
Dusty :wink:

Ain't it funny how rifles "grow" on you as the day stretches! :wink:

A'course the opposite happens when a big ole Kodiak pops up outa nowhere. I've had my 375H&H shrink to about a foot long with a BB bore when one startles me real good. :rotf:

The only light-weight rifle I've ever hunted with was the day I borrowed a friend's Marlin 336. Other than that, every rifle I've hunted big game with weighed at least 8-9 lbs., and I'd say that 3/4 or more of my whole deer hunting career has been with a flintlock hunting (not counting archery season).

Back