• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who likes heavy rifles for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrownBear said:
Dusty Bob said:
Ifn I got ta cary it, it will be on the lite side! :cursing:
Dusty :wink:

Ain't it funny how rifles "grow" on you as the day stretches! :wink:

A'course the opposite happens when a big ole Kodiak pops up outa nowhere. I've had my 375H&H shrink to about a foot long with a BB bore when one startles me real good. :rotf:

God ain't that the truth LOL!
I ran into a grizzly while carrying my 54 Hawken and felt like dropping the gun and running away screaming like a little girl!

MK43 said:
....and felt like dropping the gun and running away screaming like a little girl!

When you read between the lines in the L&C journals, it would appear that there was some of that going on!!! :haha:

My flintlock rifle is 1" x 42" in 54 cal. I find it interesting you have the same in 45 cal. I primarily still hunt deer only because I'm on a small piece of land. I'd like to do more walking to get a better feel for carrying it. I'm 260 pounds myself so a few extra pounds don't seem like more from the gun, but heavy clothing in a foot of snow seem to take more out of me. I've also hunted with a light 62 cal fowler. Both guns have their advantages. The rifle holds steadier, but not for long. The smoothbore not quite as steady, but can be held longer. If I had something in between I might just like it, but I don't dare hold one cuz I just might not let go of it.

"I like a light rifle for still-hunting and the occasional fast/running shot."

would that be you running fast or the Deer?

I shoot competetivley with my Hawken Rifles (not TC Hawken) all Year round. Hunting with them in Nov and Dec, Don't even notice the weight.

But I am a big guy, some of you skinny, wormy weaklings might have issues with it.

HH

That would be me :haha: I like them on the light side... but I tend to walk a lot. I am building a heivier .62 rifle that should weigh around 9 lbs...

Headhunter said:
I shoot competetivley with my Hawken Rifles (not TC Hawken) all Year round. Hunting with them in Nov and Dec, Don't even notice the weight.

But I am a big guy, some of you skinny, wormy weaklings might have issues with it.

HH

My wormy arms will never shoot a rifle over 9 lbs. :grin:

tg said:
"I like a light rifle for still-hunting and the occasional fast/running shot."

would that be you running fast or the Deer?

LOL. Funny you should ask. Only once, in my 30 years of hunting, did I ever outrun a deer successfully and drop it with a single shot . . . but that was with a 8-1/2 lb. slug shotgun and can't be discussed here. I saw two deer running across an open field and went below a ridge at a fast run and 100 yards into a woodlot to be in the right place when they trotted by and I shot the larger doe (she dressed out at 205 lbs - huge for a doe). I was younger, more intense and had better wind back then.

The m/l times have been what we call "grouse shots" and occur when you are still hunting (v e r y . s l o w l y) and a deer bolts from cover nearby. Sometimes within 10 yards. If everything is just so I will take those shots with my handy little New Englander.

I don't put myself in those situations with my longrifle. :wink:

If you prefer a heavier gun fine but I find it total :bull: on a heavy gun holding better on game, to some, it's the only way to take game. I've brought home a hell of a lot of meat with light guns and if I ever get out of this bed, will continue to so. :v

Swampy said:
Greenmtnboy said:
Guilty!
one inch across the flats for me no smaller than 15/16th

Teah well I saw eating Chipmonks is likened to Steroids. :wink:

:hmm: I think thats supposed to be "Well I saw where eating Chipmunks is likened to Steroids." :rotf: :idunno:

Back