• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Made This Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure of who made the lock - here are some photos of it. If anyone can identify it, I would like to know!

IMG_4576_zpswvm1eeqh.jpg

IMG_4577_zpswx7pntri.jpg

IMG_4578_zpssfdyewl2.jpg

I'm not certain Barry but the Z on the back may be the trademark for Larry Zornes that's the lock I thought was on my gun but now I think mine is a Pete Allen. Zornes builds locks for RE Davis I think :idunno: I've read so much over the past few years that sometimes I get my info confused . :youcrazy: :redface: :shake: maybe someone with better memory will help me out :thumbsup: Dang I just noticed the M G on the back also. Did I mention I don't see very well too. :doh: M&G is for Mold &Gun Zornes either owns that company or makes locks for them as well. M & G is located in Ohio.

I think mine is a Pete Allen. Zornes builds locks for RE Davis I think I've read so much over the past few years that sometimes I get my info confused .

Yer not alone. This is a "who's on first?" situation. I 'heard' Pete Allen owns, or owned, the moulding company that made all the locks for both Davis and L&R. Then I 'heard' he sold to someone else. Zorne maybe? Dunno?
Pete Allen has been around a long time, not surprising he would sell his business and retire. BTW, my good flint longrifle has an Allen built Siler and has never failed me with 40 years of use and countless thousands of shots. Even in pouring rain once.

This is a lock by Larry Zornes of The Mold & Gun Shop. I have used his lock for rifle builds and I think it is a very good lock. I have never had a complaint from anyone about this lock :wink: .

Guys I just posted a pic of the back side of my lock plate on my Tip Curtis rifle in the photo section here .Sorry it took do long to post it. This is the lock I think is a Pete Allen lock but is simular to the M/G lock on Barry's gun :thumbsup:

Indeed a "Davis" M&G continental from Zorne's shop.
A great lock, copy of an early French design...Just put one a a fusil de traite---hot sparker....Tom

Well from what i can find it is a Barker Whatley , It is a English Trade lock from around 1770 to 1790’s ..
Hope this helps ...TAC2..

TAC2 said:
Well from what i can find it is a Barker Whatley , It is a English Trade lock from around 1770 to 1790’s ..
Hope this helps ...TAC2..
This is the Barker Whatley lock:
0973medium.jpg

This is the M & G Continental Flintlock:
0980big.jpg

I've used the Barker Whatley lock on many smoothbores with great success. I've never used the other one seen here but both are made by Larry Zorn & sold by R E Davis. The Continental lock looks nice IMHO.

Back