• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made this lock??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to see if I can figure out who made the percussion lock. It’s a modern lock that I was given along with a boatload of other parts and building tools this weekend by my wife’s grandpa who used to build. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• B6C63494-80A0-4556-99CF-D8FC8DD3322B.jpeg
    B6C63494-80A0-4556-99CF-D8FC8DD3322B.jpeg
    1.5 MB
  • 73BEC5CE-0E1D-4E1E-A03A-40086239AD22.jpeg
    73BEC5CE-0E1D-4E1E-A03A-40086239AD22.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • CC89F643-0082-4CB2-B02C-311192ECDDBF.jpeg
    CC89F643-0082-4CB2-B02C-311192ECDDBF.jpeg
    1.4 MB
  • 4D545980-0AF5-4599-AE7A-A83CC545A809.jpeg
    4D545980-0AF5-4599-AE7A-A83CC545A809.jpeg
    1.4 MB
Mike,

Looks like a Siler to me
Yes sir I would agree with that, but looking for who built the lock? A siler to my understanding (perhaps I’m wrong??) is a style not who made it seems most everyone makes a siler lock Davis,L&R, etc but not sure who made this one. That’s why I posted pics of the “makers mark” on the inside of the lock. Looks to be a fish. Also the small letters. Just seeing if anyone has seen a lock marked in such a way before?

Yes sir I would agree with that, but looking for who built the lock? A siler to my understanding (perhaps I’m wrong??) is a style not who made it seems most everyone makes a siler lock Davis,L&R, etc but not sure who made this one. That’s why I posted pics of the “makers mark” on the inside of the lock. Looks to be a fish. Also the small letters. Just seeing if anyone has seen a lock marked in such a way before?

Siler/Chambers had others building their locks, perhaps they might know

Siler was the company that made the lock Chambers bought them out in the 90's. From the beginning you could buy the lock finished or as a kit of rough castings. They sold a lot of kits so the quality of the finished locks varies depending on who put it together. From the pictures you posted I would say this was a kit and whoever put it together didn't do much of anything cleaning up the rough casting that come in the kit. Definitely not anything that Bud Siler or Jim Chambers would have sold as a finished lock. You might want to check the Tumbler and the Sear to make sure they have been Hardened. I bought one years ago from a guy at Friendship that was supposed to have been a finished lock but turned out nothing had been hardened.

Thank you for that info! I was in a box of stuff that I was gifted and looked interesting. Thought that if I ever build a gun this might be neat to put in it! I did not know that siler was a maker whenever I would read or hear siler it was always a lock that looked like the one I posted I was under the impression it was a style and not a person. Thank you for the education!

Back