• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes the best roundballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark in WI

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I have everybodys attention. Back when I started shooting BP we either shoot homemade round balls or Speer. I did not like the little bump on the homemade, but did like the price, so I used mostly the Speer. As I am looking to get backto shooting again I only see the Hornady round balls. I think I did see some economy round balls at cabelas or Basspro. I guess I was wondering if the Hornady are similar to the speer. Is seven dollars a good price for a box of the Hornady? Walmart had them and maxihunters for that on clearance.

Thanks for the info,
Mark

You might want to give it a try, every gun will shoot differ.. with round ball--fine out what your gun like to shoot :thumbsup: I shoot H round ball and my gun likes them alot so I go no farhter!! :grin: Good luck!! :thumbsup: and have fun :grin:

The Speer balls are nice and shiny! But I don't think that makes em shoot any different. That's all I used to shoot back in the 70's. Kinda like you, I started up again recently and have been using the Hornady .490 rb. no complaints. $7 is a good price for anything .45 cal or above. I was able to purchase 6 boxes closeout at Dick's sporting goods for $5 each, on my last box now. The sprue on cast balls does not seem to affect accuracy. The guys in my club who are drilling the center out of their targets all cast their own.

Mark, a member here, Birddog6, put me onto a commercial caster in Georgia by the name of Eddie May (Maye?)...I've tried some of his .395s for a .40cal, and .600s for a .62cal, excellent performance and the best price anywhere...sells up at Friendship too...if you can't google him up I'll post his contact info tonight.

I shoot nothing, but cast balls. They are accurate and VERY economical. The best part is I made them myself. That's half the fun :thumbsup: .

After mikeing a few random balls of each, from a half dozen boxes of each, of Hornady, and Speer, I found Speer to be more consistantly round. However, I don't know how much that would really affect accuracy considering possible deformation in loading. The differences between the two were about .003 in favor of Speer. Neither are perfect, and neither are cast balls. The advantage of the swaged ball is better consistantcy in weight, over cast, if you are shooting for the world championship of RB muzzleloading. If you aren't, then simply choose what you like. They will all work, and I doubt there will be any marked difference noticed.

You can't beat those Walmart close out prices of course...but year in and year out, particularly for ball sizes you'll never see in a Walmart, you might give Eddie a try...

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
“Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets”
Please Call or Write to place Order

I do!!! :blah:

For my needs anyway. They don't cost me anything and they're good enough for everything I need to do with them. How can anything be better unless it involved a truck backing up to your door with free balls from some other source?

Seriously, you have to ask yourself if any extra expense in buying balls is justified by extra performance. Otherwise, why not make your own?

Me, for me, I only cast, other's mileage may vary.

TANSTAAFL said:

Me, for me, I only cast, other's mileage may vary.

Same here :thumbsup:
I cast once a year...out in my Shed....I try an cast enough for to last me all year.Somewheres around 1000 a year at one time but I getting down to where I only shoot 950 or so now.... :wink:
For my money and time I love Casting balls from my LEE mold!

Back