• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single set trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all have a friend that got a 50 Lancaster with a chambers large siler lock single set trigger. Issue is lack of consistent fire. You can hear hammer click but doesn’t fire the cock. But if you reset trigger it will fire on second pull. It did work 4-5 times correctly after issue was found,but then returned back to original problem. I do not know the maker but it is a very nice rifle. And I’m a double trigger man myself so I have zero knowledge on the subject. Thanks everyone for any information.

Attachments

• IMG_3624.jpeg
    IMG_3624.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
If you could get us a pic of that trigger someone here will know what it is. I think that'd be the first step in getting some insight on the problem.

A single set trigger may work best if set before taking to half-cock. They generally only fire when set (unlike the 2 trigger set where it fires set or unset) so the trigger unset may be putting slight pressure on the arm of the sear.

A single set trigger may work best if set before taking to half-cock. They generally only fire when set (unlike the 2 trigger set where it fires set or unset) so the trigger unset may be putting slight pressure on the arm of the sear.
So I thought the same thing when it first happened, that there had to be a little “trick” to it. But we tried before after and at half-cock. It really blew me away.

You may have a wood clearance problem. If the cock does not go back far enough to let the fly slide in front of the sear you will get a half cock hang up, which will break something.

I was thinking along the lines of @Norman Brooks. I was thinking the sear arm in the lock is too long and dragging on the wood in the lock mortise. The other likelihood is that the heavy spring driving the set trigger lever is needs to be a turn tighter. I can only speculate since I can't see the triggers or the internal view of the lock mortise.

I was thinking along the lines of @Norman Brooks. I was thinking the sear arm in the lock is too long and dragging on the wood in the lock mortise. The other likelihood is that the heavy spring driving the set trigger lever is needs to be a turn tighter. I can only speculate since I can't see the triggers or the internal view of the lock mortise.

Attachments

• IMG_3624.jpeg
    IMG_3624.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back