• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who makes this small lantern from "The Woodland Escape"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hesitant to ask Peter, but did anyway... He said It came from a sutler. I have yet to see him endorse any products in his videos, so I wasn't expecting any such..

I don't think I've seen one like that any where, but I've read discussions about how getting a small lantern to work well is hard.

I've always carried a modern telescoping lantern that takes a plumbers type candle.

Lightening my pack I went to a Tea light candle lantern. One trip was cold, 10-15 below F. and some things didn't work as planned. Butane stoves don't work and the tea light candle lost heat too fast to melt the wax in the cup, so the wick burnt straight down and burnt out quickly.

Any hoo... A little enclosed lantern is definitely in the list, and I'll continue to struggle with gear envy watching "The woodland escape"

'evening,

Knew I'd seen them before. Luck was with me and the first site I tried had it (or very similar). Blockade Runner (https://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html), scroll about half way down.

I've always passed on that style because it seems blocky compared to the folding pocket ones. Although I'll admit the ability to hang it would be very handy. And usually if I need light, it's unexpected and in the middle of the night. A finger sized flashlight lives in my haversack.

Mike

Just a thought but take a look at Garrett Wade Stonebridge Brass folding candle lantern.

Attachments

• images (4).jpeg
    images (4).jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 0
'evening,

Knew I'd seen them before. Luck was with me and the first site I tried had it (or very similar). Blockade Runner (https://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html), scroll about half way down.

I've always passed on that style because it seems blocky compared to the folding pocket ones. Although I'll admit the ability to hang it would be very handy. And usually if I need light, it's unexpected and in the middle of the night. A finger sized flashlight lives in my haversack.

Mike
Thanks for finding that. I'll be picking one up. I did a little googling on "campaign lanterns" and that flowed into "trench lanterns" which includes a number of folding types. That led to an a mention that opinioned that the folding lantern developed not as something that could be folded for travel, but as a comfort item that could be shipped to the front by front by family's during WWI.

Just a thought but take a look at Garrett Wade Stonebridge Brass folding candle lantern.

You can cut the price in half if you go here:
AMAZON: Stonebridge Automatic Folding Lantern

Just note, it is stamped in the lantern body that this design dates to 1900, so you might be given grief at a juried event that is ACW or earlier. Now personally if I was one of the Dog Soldiers checking camps, I'd simply not read the stamped label. When it's deployed, it looks very much like a much older design.

LD

Back