• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whom Used a Frizzen Stall?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a frizzen/hammer stall?

• Yes I do

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • No I don’t

Votes: 14 25.5%

• Total voters
I make a heck of alot of them but don't usually use one. All of my hunting right now is with cap guns. I'm planning to go more flintlock so, should I start hunting with them, I'll probably use one.

They weren’t used by British soldiers. They were recommended by Cuthbertson in 1768 but not adopted. Like his insane suggestion that soldiers should be issued straight-lasted shoes and required to switch them from foot to foot to even out the wear. Clearly the musings of someone who had minimal experience with the things he was making recommendations about.
There is contemporary artwartwork to the contrary, as well as other sources citing their use.

Wouldn't the half-cock position do the same thing? Or didn't they have that back then?

Asking for a my percussion friend
I use hammer stalls, perhaps if my smoke-poles had a cross bolt safety I'd rethink my position. Half cock doesn't do it for me. I like to send lead down range on MY schedule not the guns. (Guns, they can be hard to train and some are just real stubborn.)

Yes, I use one when hunting. When I'm deer hunting out of a tree stand (12' high), it's especially important to me. When pulling the rifle up to me or lowering it to the ground, the pan powder has been brushed away, vent hole plugged with a toothpick, frizzen opened, cock lowered, AND hammer stall secured on frizzen. Even then it's scary.

I have bought a few that were made out of heavy leather, somehow, they got misplaced or lost. Now I use thin leather, cut out the pattern with scissors and glue the edges with Duco cement.

I added a few stitches to this one but the Duco is enough to keep it together.

Cheap, ugly, 5 minutes to make and works just fine.

Attachments

• frizzen stall.JPG
    frizzen stall.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
I went to a match one-time years back with some friends where they required a frizzen stall, none of us had them so we cut up a pair of leather gloves (this may or may not have been mentioned earlier, I have not read every post), I have no idea where mine got off to after the match and have never needed one since.

Straight lasted shoes conform to the feet within hours. Switching feet wears them out demonstrably faster than not switching, as well as being terribly uncomfortable. Cuthbertson, like most officers, likely wore bespoke shoes instead of ready-made, so his would have been left and right lasted.
Jay
You’re applying todays thoughts and beliefs to back then

Good to see you back. Some of us were wondering if you were ok, here and on the Minuteman forum.
Thank you.

It's been a tough road recovering from six weeks of every weekday radiation treatment plus weekly chemo infusions since the first of the year. Even though I was found to have "no cancer detectable" a couple months ago, other things seem to keep coming up. I've had an abdominal hernia for about 4-5 years, but recently it has been joined by another two hernia's in my groin, one of which has particularly causing me pain when it swelled up so suddenly and I had no idea I have that third hernia. Anyway, my surgeon is going to take care of all three hernia's on Wednesday as an outpatient procedure. However, that will probably also cause me to disappear for two to three weeks during recovery of that surgery.

Still, any day I wake up to see the blades of the grass, rather than the roots, is a good day. GRIN

Gus

Thank you.

It's been a tough road recovering from six weeks of every weekday radiation treatment plus weekly chemo infusions since the first of the year. Even though I was found to have "no cancer detectable" a couple months ago, other things seem to keep coming up. I've had an abdominal hernia for about 4-5 years, but recently it has been joined by another two hernia's in my groin, one of which has particularly causing me pain when it swelled up so suddenly and I had no idea I have that third hernia. Anyway, my surgeon is going to take care of all three hernia's on Wednesday as an outpatient procedure. However, that will probably also cause me to disappear for two to three weeks during recovery of that surgery.

However, any day I wake up to see the blades of the grass, rather than the roots, is a good day. GRIN

Gus
You certainly have alot going on there. Prayers and best wishes to you and yours.

Latest posts

Back