• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's had a buck hide up close?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 3 point share my camp for a cpl days last fall. I was out small game hunting and set up camp and realized a small buck had been watching me as it lay in some juniper about 5 yards away. It stayed there off an on for the whole trip especialy when some road hunters were doing their morning and evening "drives". Guess he knew he was safe from me.

I had a 3 point share my camp for a cpl days last fall. I was out small game hunting and set up camp and realized a small buck had been watching me as it lay in some juniper about 5 yards away. It stayed there off an on for the whole trip especialy when some road hunters were doing their morning and evening "drives". Guess he knew he was safe from me.

Several years ago while living in alabama I saw a good sized buck do sort of a "low crawl" across a small clearing while bow hunting,there were several other hunters walking and talking as they came down a ridge.I was about 20ft up in a climbing stand about 50yrds away from the Buck

once had a doe lay down and take an all day nap about 20 ft from me---shot an 8 pt 2 ft away--guess he didn't see me standing there when he walked by-- :idunno:

VTdeerhunter said:
Yup...after walking most of the morning I stopped to sit a spell in the middle of a big maple blow-down. I could see across a pretty big clear cut area that headed uphill and upwind of my spot. Out about 500 yards I saw a deer heading towards me, I watched as he got closer and put some nice horn's on him, a tall tined 7 pointer who's main beams almost touched in the front. When he got about 100 yards out he jerked his head back up the hill and froze. After a few minutes he just laid down where he was (amongst some small pine tree saplings not more that 18" tall) then he actually laid his chin down to the ground. A few seconds later another hunter cruised by the top of the ridge on his 4-wheeler. After the 4-wheeler was gone by, the deer stood up and continued feeding to about 20 yards where I put his head back on the ground for good. I made sure I didn't miss, got to get them smart ones out of the gene pool.... :rotf:

Good on you! Ain't safe with those guys out there. :grin:

You reminded me of a day sorting cattle and branding in the Southwest. We had pushed the herd up into the corner of a field and had been working them for about three hours. Lotta whooping and whistling and calf bawling going on, along with about a half dozen cow dogs spinning under foot.

My mare was starting to blow as hard as I was, so on a break I rode her about 100 yards to an irrigation ditch lined with low willows and such. She no sooner shoved her nose in the water, when this good buck (mule deer BTW) exploded from the willows right next to us.

I could have reached out and touched him if I hadn't been so busy. That little mare turned inside out so hard I ended up with my arms and legs wrapped around her neck, my weight shoving her nose right into the ground by the time it was all over.

Wasn't much of my dignity left between that and the cowboy hooting, but at least I didn't hit the ground.

Shoot those miserable hiding sons-of-guns every chance you get!!!!! :rotf:

My father shot an 8pt Buck on a dead run in the rump one side. The weeds were up to my chest. The deer went down two of my sons went looking for the deer after about 6hrs of looking through all of the flooded areas I walked back to where my father was standing and spotted the Buck looking at me. I said I found him he got up and one of my sons shot him in the other hip. The buck stood between me and my father that was in a tree stand 20ft in the air. He missed so I shot the Buck in the neck the fun was over and the work started.

I have had many deer walk in front of me so close I could have stuck them knife. Few I have almost stepped on.

It gets the heart pumping to kick up a big deer when you are not expecting him.

Back