• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why 2 triggers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillyhans

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hate the two triggers on my Hawken. I have the adjustment screw all the way in, so only the front trigger works, but it is too far away. Can I get rid of the double triggers?

What is a well priced .50 with one trigger?

All depends on whether or not there may be a drop in single trig or you could make a single trig to replace the double.

I know what you mean about the front trigger being too far away. GPR rifles have this problem for me at least. On top of that, the trigger pull when unset is very hard.

Hmmm, Im just the opposite. Once I got my Hawken with the double set I wanted it on all my guns. Just curious, why dont you like it?

A thought, you dont have to set the rear trigger if you dont want to, you can simply fire it off the front trigger. Its a heavier pull but it does the trick. The set is a way to get a lighter feeling, crisper trigger pull.

I keep mine set just a touch beyond a hair trigger, I used to have it set too light but discovered right away why that was bad. (80-90gr FFG behind a 370 GR maxi hunter kicks like a mule, when the gun fires before the stock is on your shoulder it smarts a bit...)

One hammer = one trigger. I don't like it b/c it's just one more thing to worry about. Why not just have one nice trigger that works like it's supposed to?

If anyone knows of a diff. trigger for this let me know.

What is a well priced .50 with one trigger?

Check out a Lyman Trade Rifle. I believe they have a single trigger. They are similar to the T/C "Hawken". Can be bought new for around $300.

Based on your comment, I have this nagging suspicion that you do not understand the purpose of a double set trigger; nor have you set it properly.

Pull the hammer to the half cock position. pull the back trigger. That sets the front trigger. Now pull the front trigger. If you do not like the amount of pressure required, repeat the operation, and adjust the tension with the screw until you get the desired tension.

Once you know how to use it and set it properly, you will not want to go back. I, too, would like one of these on all of my rifles.

hillbillyhans said:
I know what it's for, and I know how to set it, and I still think it's garbage!

You have a right to that opinion. However most ml'ers like and use the sett triggers for improved accuracy.
BTW: I would disagree that they are "garbage". Sett triggers are a refinment that has been around for centuries. Definitely an improvement over single triggers.
You didn't say what kind of "Hawken" you have. Factory made or custom, or what?
If you are somewhat handy, a trigger from one of the manufcaturers of ml parts should work just fine with some installation work on your part.

It's a T/C. I don't plan on doing any benchrest shooting with my muzzleloader, so for me, 2triggers = garbage. Takes more time, I like the quick shot. Plus, I have sort of a minimalist attitude, and whenever I see two things doing a job that one could do just as well, my eye starts twitching. 85yds-clay pigeons-off hand-one trigger works fine for me!

I agree with your position on set triggers, I never used them on the guns that came with them for hunting or trail walks and I have tried them, I have used them way back for sighting in to remove as much humman factor ad possible. I also try to stay as close to the original with the type of gun I am using and that eliminated set triggers with a lot of differnen 18th century guns. I enjoy trying to experience the same technology and method of operation as the originals as closely as plausible and I can afford. This is just my personal preference on the issue. I got into shooting/hunting with ML's and a way of stepping back in time to a more simple operating type of gun and see no treason to try and add things to make it better than the original, as for me this defeats the purpose of the whole concept. I am aware that set triggers single and double were used on many different types of guns in the past just as many types did not have them.

Who makes the gun?

Both T/C and Lyman make models with a single trigger.
The single trigger mechinism in both is a single unit with trigger and trigger guard as one piece.
I know in the T/C the single unit will fit in the double trigger mortice.

Thanks for ACTUALLY being helpful.

"paco", no need for you to keep talking/posting. It's appearent you are much wiser than I.

You right BWW. It appears as if a couple that started this month must be having cabin fever or caught the fever watching too much reality TV. :stir:

hillbillyhans said:
One hammer = one trigger. I don't like it b/c it's just one more thing to worry about. Why not just have one nice trigger that works like it's supposed to?

If anyone knows of a diff. trigger for this let me know.

Sounds fair to me, I was just wondering if you'd not learned to use it. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just askin' :v

hillbillyhans said:
Ok,
Then back in 1998 T/C changed the way they screw/bolt in the tang,
thats the part the back of the barrel hooks into,

Pre-98 the tang was held in with two wood screws,
Post-98 the front tang scew is actually a bolt that goes through the stock and into the trigger guard on both the single trigger-guard combo and/or the guard of the double triggered models.

Latest posts

Back