• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are Uberti pistol boxes so flimsy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here Aldo's outfit makes these wonderful reproduction revolvers -- which have gotten even better over time -- and yet Uberti continues to ship their revolvers in the flimsiest cardboard boxes I have had the misfortune to encounter. Just look at them wrong and the folds tear. It's as if the cardboard was brittle. Reminds me a bit of the cardboard that came from China 20 years ago, although that stuff also smelled vaguely of dog pee -- a charge I do not make against Uberti. I wonder what it would take to get them to improve the quality of their packaging cardboard, which I don't believe has changed in 30 or more years. Not a big thing, but why not use packaging that reflects the high quality of the contents? And yes, I would pay a dollar more. 😄
Interesting! I never thought about that. They are saving a dime or two with each cheap box, but the packaging should reflect the quality of the product, and it would be nice to have a better box for those guys that are "box collectors".

I bought a NIB old stock from Cimmeron (from a member) and the box was perfect. One of the better deals I have got on this forum, NIB Uberti 5 shot .36 and 7boxess of balls and a few extra springs for $350.00. The one I got from Bill was just as nice and came with a holster, now one of my top three favorite guns and may be # on once I get time to work up a load. Traditions box was in great shape. The gun throws a sub 2" group at 25 yds first time out with 18 gr 3f.

As for resale? I only have a few boxes on rifles left. Likely keeping em all but I have em should I sell. I would like the original box on a sale but not a deal breaker at all.

Maybe ship to home VS a retailer matters? My mailman and local fed ex/ups are BRUTES.

I just received this pistol yesterday. Started with UPS and end delivery by USPS. Look at the inner box and how one section is crushed. I think they hired the Gorilla from the old American Tourister commercials! How hard do you need to throw this box around to crush the internal compartments? This came in a heavy Cardboard shipping box, taped heavily etc, and showed one corner crushed, luckily it did not hit the inner box, but still, to crush the internal organizers? as AZmntman said, Yes, brutes may be an understatement!

Attachments

• New Pietta 1858 remington 12 .JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 12 .JPG
    4 MB
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 14 .JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 14 .JPG
    3.7 MB
  • New Pietta 1858 remington 16 .JPG
    New Pietta 1858 remington 16 .JPG
    4 MB
Last edited:
It might not make a difference to you but to many people it does. Like it or not, it’s a fact.
"New in the box with all factory paperwork" vs "like new" will generate two different sales prices on the open market. Maybe not to some but to enough to see a distinct difference. What would the original box for an original 1851 Colt bring? As a kid, one of my chores was to bust up wooden shotgun shell crates that my grandfather saved for use as kindling. What are Winchester crates going for today? I wish that I had a few.

"New in the box with all factory paperwork" vs "like new" will generate two different sales prices on the open market. Maybe not to some but to enough to see a distinct difference. What would the original box for an original 1851 Colt bring? As a kid, one of my chores was to bust up wooden shotgun shell crates that my grandfather saved for use as kindling. What are Winchester crates going for today? I wish that I had a few.
I use my firearms. I would not own one that I can not fire etc. The box while cute, means nothing to me. I see no reason to own firearms that sit in a safe unused for years! I am not interested in using firearms as an investment. The Winchester crates are fine as firewood, IMHO!

I agree with your statement, I just really do not understand why they care so much!
I keep them all but they can start to take up some room, that’s for sure. I look at that more as a collector thing. It means the most to those type of firearms owners. And, you never really know what might become collectible or not…that’s why I keep them.

Will like it or not it doesn't look like it matters to Uberti and that is a fact.
True but I keep my Uberti boxes too. I do prefer the plastic cases you get from some manufacturers and the price of the firearm in question doesn’t necessarily relate to the quality of the box or case that it comes in.

I’ve noticed that newer handguns come in cases that will accept a padlock. Maybe the BP handguns don’t come in plastic cases since they aren’t considered firearms by many jurisdictions. Therefore they don’t have to deal with liability and lawyers accusing the owner of being negligent because they didn’t lock the box. I’m pretty sure that some states require you to have the firearm locked when transporting them. I don’t know, just a guess and of course money is always a factor for manufacturers. If they can save a nickel per item, they will.

Will like it or not it doesn't look like it matters to Uberti and that is a fact.
If they are not concerned about short arbors why in the world would they care about the box? It does seem that better packaging would reduce damage caused by the shipping gorillas though.

... Not a big thing, but why not use packaging that reflects the high quality of the contents?
I immediately throw the box in the trash, along with any other eye candy might be in there, so, no, not willing to shell out a buck for a fancier box, so long as the packaging is sturdy enough to protect it from damage.

Believe it or not, whenever I buy a new gun, my wife insists I keep the box it came in. Her theory is that if I kick the bucket, those guns will be worth more if she has to sell them. Go figure!🤨
Better check on if she increased the value of your life insurance.

Here the point you no box guys miss. If my gun is packed in a box with the manufacturer name on it. And its all crushed, And then packed in a shipping cardboard box.
I got to wonder how well did they take care of the actual product?
Remember the old saying about first impressions? Before you see the actual product, you see the box.
First impressions matter.
Why you think new car dealerships spend millions on the building before you walk in to see the product?

If they are not concerned about short arbors why in the world would they care about the box? It does seem that better packaging would reduce damage caused by the shipping gorillas though.

I agree with that, give me the right arbor length and I can put up with the cheap box

I agree with your statement, I just really do not understand why they care so much!
Because it reflects the original owners care and pride in what he or she owns. When you take care of the firearm AND the box it came with then the new buyer has some feeling that the firearm has been taken care of also. Get real -- you don't like to keep the original box that fine - a LOT of people do like a used gun with its original box and YES - they will pay more when the gun has its original box. This comment is towards all of those that don't like to keep the original gun boxes. My two cents worth:ThankYou:

Back