• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why do you build rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call it middle aged eyesight, change of intrest, whatever. Yes in recent years my principle shooting has been with smoothbores. But my next two personal guns will probably be rifles. Providing no custom work jumps into the que ahead of them. :idunno: BJH

All in fun Brother! I'm not picky....as long as it looks authentic. Heck, it doesn't even have to be pretty! Enjoy, J.D.

There are several reasons. The parts for the Bucks County longrifle I'm building will cost me less than one third of what I would pay for a custom rifle. I like the challenge, having never built a rifle before. Also, I can make it just the way I want it. And, finally, there is the pride and satisfaction of owning a rifle I built myself.

I think the most important reason why we all do this and one that is sometimes lost by new builders is that this is FUN.Enjoy the journey every step of the way and keep it fun even through the frustrating times.Try new things and challange yourself.It what attracted me and keeps me coming back.

Mitch Yates

I got into building because of a change order in 2005.

We were renovating a house and while we were finishing up, the owner decided she wanted a 12 foot wide, multi-panel, glass door installed. It would have been a whole lot easier to install the huge header while we were framing, but sometimes a job throws you curve balls.

Well, while installing the beam, one of my guys stumbles, and the whole operation starts heading for the floor. I reached out and caught the end of the beam with my right forearm and kept it from landing on the guy who stumbled. But, it tore my shoulder all to heck. It has never been right since then.

So, I suddenly had to switch from a total obsession with bow hunting and archery competition, to something equally idiotic and time consuming. I fell back on my passion for history and working with my hands, and ended up landing right back where I was in the late 70's- playing with black powder.

One thing led to another, and now I build several long guns a year.

KL Moors

because there is an inescapable magic in a flintlock ... nothing against caplocks or centerfire, but it's just 'not the same' ... hard to explain, but thos who bang rocks know what i'm mumbling about.

why make 'em yourself?

'cause the coolest tools are the ones you build with your own hands.

Before retiring, I had a very high pressure job.

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I did.
But, at the end of the day with at least 3 major tasks unfinished and more coming I was pretty pooped.

Having a lifelong interest in shooting all types of guns and especially enjoying black powder guns I got to talking with another guy at the plant and he suggested that I might enjoy building a Pecatonica River longrifle kit.
That's when it started.

In grade and high school, of all my classes I enjoyed the shop classes the most. Wood shop, metal shop, auto shop and drafting. Those things.

I even went on to get a college degree in teaching Industrial Arts at the high school level.
I never really used this degree because I couldn't afford to live on a teachers salary.

Anyway, with a longrifle kit at home, I had something to look forward to at the end of the day. Something that I could take my time with, use my hands, not overstress my brain, set my own time frame for each task and end up with something to be proud of when it was finished.

Now that I've retired from my job I find I no longer have anything to escape from so my production rate on muzzleloaders has gone down considerably.
Building a longrifle is still fun but there are so many other things that are also enjoyable. :grin:

So much to do! So little time. :hmm:

Well, I'm new at this. having only built a handful of guns I'd have to say that my main reasons for doing it are, in ascending order...
1.) Because I'm a lefty and most production guns aren't built for lefties.
2.) Because it's fun.
3.) Because they'll outlive me and be passed down to my children and maybe even their children.
4.) Number 1 reason... Pride of carrying a rifle that I built into the New England deer woods for a day of adventure.

Aint that the truth. 30 yars ago I wanted a tack driver.Over the last 10 years I love smothies or one smoothy anyway.I think with my advancing years I can say "yeah anyone can get 5x at a hundred yards off hand in a 30 mph wind and rain but it takes real skill to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with a smoothy one time in five. Any way I build guns cause its fun,I like running ball,sewing clothes,cleaning guns building ship modles ect. :thumbsup:

I have a question for everyone (continuing on this topic)... Can you make money at building these guns? I mean, can you make enough to break even and maybe a little more so you can purchase new supplies, tools, etc...? I ask as I am starting out in the building of a gun and am concerned that once I go through several attempts at building before getting it right I will have amassed many expensive tools and rifles that I can't sell off, even at cost. Thoughts?

Chawlie1100 said:
I have a question for everyone (continuing on this topic)... Can you make money at building these guns?

Short answer is yes some people do. Not everyone that starts a business makes it.

I will have amassed many expensive tools

Amassing tools is a good thing.

William Alexander

A longer answer is a few do make part of their living money building longrifles but those who do have been in the business for a long time and have built up a good reputation for themselves.

Building that reputation isn't easy.

As for building one of the 'box of parts' style custom guns, many starting builders will find that just getting their money out of the gun is about the best that can be done.

Part of the reason for this is the general public doesn't understand the amount of work that goes into making one of these guns.
They also have seen used muzzleloaders selling for a few hundred dollars and they can't see any reason that your custom built curly maple flintlock should cost any more than "that good CVA flinter right over there that the guy wants $100 for."

Yes, there are some people who know the difference like the members of this forum but at a gun show, these people are few and far between.

Then you get the awe struck guys who look at your gun and say, "WOW! That is the most fantastic rifle I've ever seen. How much do you want for it?"
When you tell them your asking $1000 they say things like, "And worth every penny! I can't afford it right now though."

OK. So someone actually buys your newly made gun for $900.
The parts cost about $650 (if your lucky) so that's a $250 profit.
The problem is, it takes a good 140 hours or more to make a nice longrifle from a box of parts so, $250/140 = $1.79 per hour.
That won't hardly pay the rent these days.

OK. I'll get off my soapbox but you asked.

Zonie said:
.....The problem is, it takes a good 140 hours or more to make a nice longrifle from a box of parts so, $250/140 = $1.79 per hour.
That won't hardly pay the rent these days.....

Not to mention the outlay in tools, finishes and various consumables.

You will also find that the discriminating buyer/collector can tell a precarve "kit" gun built by even a talented novice from a gun built from a "blank" with the correct quality parts. The latter will bring more money.

A "barn gun" or "schimmel" built by an experienced maker may not have half the money in it's parts (just a lock, stock, barrel trigger and guard, some pins and screws) as a full dresser from a "kit", but can be worth more because the architecture and attributes are "right". Point is, the simplest gun that some builders build is worth more than the fanciest one some others do.

A very, very small percentage of builders can make a living at this game....and many of those are doing it for the independence and because they love what they are doing....not because they make a lot of money at it.

Another thing many don't realize is that many of these guys who build full time are already collecting their retirement checks.....or married up and are kept men, otherwise they couldn't afford to do it. That's my plan! :wink:

Enjoy, J.D.

Latest posts

Back