• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why does it take so long to build a rifle from a custom maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some day I hope to be a builder. When I looked into this I have also noticed you will not get rich tell your dead and can not make any more.
The cost of parts and as stated earlier shipping is high and going up. If ya think about this no one has raised rates because of gas prices yet but wait tell they do. The time to do one be it kit of scratch is also a big factor. Now an endeavor like this for me is a dream as gunsmithing is some thing I enjoy. I am disabled so how long I can work on some thing changes by the job and day but I can give it my full unlike most people that work for a living. I also know that rushing some thing that is what it will also look like. Just think what every one says here to a new builder do not rush hold your self back and do it right. Think what dose it cost to have a mechanic fix your car, a body and paint job. As in most things you get what you pay for. this is also why I will not get into this tell I have a shop and such to do it right because with out that I will not do it at all. I also know that if there is some thing I can not do as well as I want it done I will hunt out the person that can. I will not settle for less and I would not want a customer to either. All of that adds up to cost for the builder that gets passed on to the customer just for his gun then there is also the cost of tools electricity ( not many build as the old-timers by candle light or fireplace . also as many old timers some can do it all and most can not knowing what you can and sticking to that means paying others for there skills and in the end the customer wins as he gets the best of the best . his is and investment and family treasure to hand down after he puts some wear on it after all it is a tool and tools get used not looked at only last point is the master of old what would you pay for one of there guns? To day a lot of the builders are better then the old masters and get the joy of using better supplies and that in tune makes a better gun again add it all up and you do get what you pay for just like cars by a yogo for point a to b but a classy car for comfort style and bling because yes it has a lot to do with bling also. Maybe I should re think this whole thing because it is starting to sound like it is cheaper to have one built for me write them me doing it. O heck with it practice make perfect. Now some day I hope to learn some from a master builder but right now I am learning from all of you because you’re the builders and customer that know what they like and do not like so thanks for letting me join ya alls

I asked Gary Barnes to build me a .58 caliber PCP air rifle and he said that he was not taking orders for a while but he'd call me when he caught up! Then with 10% down and 36 payments each month for three years of $145 and she'd be mine! That's $5200 and a 3 year wait and he has more work than he can handle! It does give one pause! :surrender:

:bow: My adage is: " you cannot rush good work "and I know that Roy has heard that from me. At age 77 however I don't like to place orders for 1-2 yrs. as I don't know I will be here to enjoy the gun---- :rotf:----however it will give my son & daughter a chance to figure out what to do with them--- :rotf: --- :hatsoff:

I build as a hobby, plain and simple as that. I work on them when I can & if my regular work prohibits that, then I don't. I usually have 2-5 backorders & usually can put out a rifle about every 2-4 months, depending on the detail of the rifle.
If I am not busy with work at all, I can do one in a month if it is not extremely detailed. I build what I want & refuse anything I am not sure about or am uncomfortable with, I just tell them I don't want to build it. Lots of times I will recommend to a customer, a builder I Know can build what the guys wants, so he can have the rifle he wants. Once in a while I even get to work on one for me, but that don't happen too often. I have a Jaeger I have been working on & off for me for over 2 years & can't seem to get it done.
All of the rifles orders I take are by Received deposits only. We can talk about one for a year, but ya get on the build list when the deposit is received, no exceptions. Basically, this separates the tire kickers from the serious guys really wanting rifles.

Now some guys say they build a rifle in 40 hrs. I'll tell ya right now that I can't, or I won't anyway. I build because I LIKE to, not because it is my regular job, it is my hobby. I take my time, I do it the best I can. If I screw up I buy a new part & start over, I don't patch or try to cover it up. Some of the guys I build for want a slick as glass finish all over, that is not a "slap on the varnish & out the door" finish. Heck I have spend 40 hours on finishing a stock, let alone the time involved in the build the rifle. Now not all of them are that way, but some ask for that. Other guys want them to look old & original & I try to accomodate them too. I like to build Hunting rifles & Target rifles & rifles to be shot, not stuck on the wall or for show.

I ain't fast & I don't claim to be. I figure I make bout $5 to 10 an hour working on rifles & that doesn't count the electric bill, tooling, bits, sandpaper, scrapers, belts, misc. I have to keep buying. So when ya take all of that out, that $10 goes back to $5 real fast. And if ya screw up on something, ya go to no $ real fast.

I love building rifles & am really pleased when a guys calls me after the first time he has shot one of mine & tells me what a day he had. :grin: I wish I could build them full time, maybe some day I will be in the position that I can do that.

As for having to wait on a rifle, well, that is just the way it is...... I would be very leery of a builder that has No waiting list...... to me anything worth having is worth waiting for, including a fine looking rifle. :wink:
:thumbsup:

would you wonder why a guy would promise to finish your order in a couple of weeks, and did? I would think he had no other orders, hence, not much business because of some reason, like he's no good, or a crook.
the same thing goes in the "one of" custom motorcycle parts (seats, etc) or hot rods, guys unheard of, and who get too much work by word of mouth, real artists. ya send money to a guy somewhere and wait forever. but they come thru...eventually.
and other hobbys also..

Back