• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why is this John Manton frizzen/pan designed with this V?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
John Manton shotguns are top of the line in my neck of the woods! I am however ignorant about his pan/frizzen bottom configuration. Any enligtenment would be appreciated.

Larry

Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 7.45.03 PM.png

Self priming.
Supposedly, when you pour the powder down the bore (frizzen closed) powder will go thru the flash hole into the cover and into the pan - you can see the hole on the underside of the V-pan cover in your photo.

That setup is for “wiping “ the vent face for consistent ignition. The pan holds very little priming powder, so the flash won’t distract the shooter.

It's a rain proof pan. The water that ran off the barrel and stock was channeled away from the pan by the shape of the lockplate on either side. I don't know how effective these locks were but I do know from experience that the lack of a drain around the pan is a weak point in lock design.

Last edited:
Dave Person would know. Being a Manton shotgun, I would think these strange additions are for very fast ignition.

It's a rain proof pan. The water that ran off the barrel and stock was channeled away from the pan by the shape of the lockplate on either side. I don't know how effective these locks were but I do know from experience that the lack of a drain around the pan is a weak point in lock design.
Indeed rainproof, and likely the best flintlock ever made.

I think the question is about the V, not the waterproof design which was around for quite a while. Top makers were trying many innovations to give customers the pride of having the latest thing. It’s possible that such a V design, as mentioned above, allowed ignition with a very scant amount of priming. If self-priming the touchhole would need to be fairly large and this might impact velocity. Dunno.

Yes. That's the right answer per this video I watched just a few days ago that explained it. It was one of Manton's many patented innovations.

Back